Florida 1998 ballot measures
November 3, 1998 ballot in the state of Florida.Thirteen statewide ballot measures were on the
- Twelve measures were approved, while one was defeated.
- Four of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- The remaining nine measures were placed on the ballot by the Florida Constitution Revision Commission.
On the ballot
|Amendment 1||Taxes||End active rehabilitation limit on tax exemptions for historic properties|
|Amendment 2||Death penalty||Ensures continuation of death sentences in the event that the method of execution is changed.|
|Amendment 3||Taxes||Enable $25,000 homestead tax exemption to homeowners at least 65 years old|
|Amendment 4||Admin of gov't||Documents filed at a county branch office would be considered officially filed.|
|FCRC||Amendment 5||Natural resources||Create Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission|
|FCRC||Amendment 6||Education||Makes it "a paramount duty of the state" to provide for education of children|
|FCRC||Amendment 7||Judicial reform||Provide for future local elections to decide whether to continue electing circuit and county judges|
|FCRC||Amendment 8||Admin of gov't||Restructure state cabinet|
|FCRC||Amendment 9||Civil rights||Explicitly recognizes the equality of women and men before the law, other basic rights|
|FCRC||Amendment 10||Taxes||Authorize counties and cities to grant property tax exemptions for lands used for conservation.|
|FCRC||Amendment 11||Elections||Ballot access, public campaign financing, election process|
|FCRC||Amendment 12||Firearms||Criminal background check and waiting period for firearms sales on property open to public access.|
|FCRC||Amendment 13||Admin of gov't||Miscellaneous matters and technical revisions|
- Journals of the 1997-1998 Constitution Revision Commission
- November 3, 1998 constitutional amendment election results
- Analysis of the revisions on the 1998 ballot