Florida Corporate Income Tax, Amendment 1 (1971)
The Florida Corporate Income Tax Amendment, also known as Amendment 1 or the Special State Amendment, was a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment on the November 2, 1972 ballot in Florida, where it was approved.
|Florida Amendment 1 (1971)|
Election results via: The Florida Handbook 1977-1978 (Verified by Ballotpedia Staff)
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
ARTICLE VII, SECTION 5
A joint resolution proposing an amendment to Section 5 of Article VII, of the Constitution of the State of Florida allowing the state to impose a tax on the net income of corporations and other artificial entities, but continuing the Constitutional prohibition against a tax on the income of natural persons.
Section 5. Estate, Inheritance and Income Taxes.
(a) Natural Persons. No tax upon estates or inheritances or upon the income of natural persons who are residents or citizens of the state shall be levied by the state, or under its authority, in excess of the aggregate of amounts which may be allowed to be credited upon or deducted from any similar tax levied by the United States or any state.
(b) Others. No tax upon the income of residents and citizens other than natural persons shall be levied by the state, or under its authority, in excess of 5% of net income, as defined by law, or at such greater rate as is authorized by a three-fifths (3/5) vote of the membership of each house of the legislature or as will provide for the state the maximum amount which may be allowed to be credited against income taxes levied by the United States and other states. There shall be exempt from taxation not less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) of the excess of net income subject to tax over the maximum amount allowed to be credited against income taxes levied by the United States and other states.
(c) Effective Date. This section shall become effective immediately upon approval by the electors of Florida.
- Florida November 2, 1971 Amendment Proposals - Florida Constitutional Revision Commission
- Sample Ballot - Ocala Star-Banner, October 25, 1971
- Newspaper opinion on the Corporate Tax Amendment - Ocala Star-Banner, November 1, 1971
- Ocala Star-Banner, "Sample Ballot," October 25, 1971
- REFERENDA AND PRIMARY ELECTION MATERIALS [Computer file]. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1995. doi:10.3886/ICPSR00006.v1
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Florida Constitutional Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-2-71"