Florida County Superintendents, Amendment 8 (1956)
|Florida Amendment 8 (1956)|
Election results via: Report of the Secretary of State of the State of Florida (1955-1956) (p.388-391)
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT TO
A proposed Amendment to Article XII of the State Constitution by adding a new Section authorizing the appointment of County Superintendent in Duval, Sarasota, Dade and Pinellas Counties; subject to referendum or special act of the Legislature and providing for method of reinstatement of County Superintendent.
The text of the amendment read:
Section __. (1) From and after January 1, 1957, the county superintendent of public instruction shall be appointed by the County board of public instruction in the counties of Duval, Sarasota, Dade and Pinellas wherein the proposition is affirmed by a majority vote of the qualified electors of any such county, or by a special act of the legislature making the office of County Superintendent of public instruction appointive.
(2) To submit the proposition contained in subsection (1) above to the electors a special election shall be called by the county commissioners of such county upon the request of the county board of public instruction therein, which election shall be held within sixty (60) days after request and the result thereof shall determine whether subsection (1) shall be effective in such county.
(3) Any county adopting the provisions of subsection (1) hereof may after four (4) years return to its former status and reject the provisions of this section by the same procedure outlined in subsection (2) hereof for adopting the provisions thereof in the beginning, or by a special act of the legislature.
- St. Petersburg Times, "Sample Ballot," November 6, 1956
- Florida Constitutional Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-6-56,"
- Report of the Secretary of State of the State of Florida (1955-1956)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |