Florida Cut Property Taxes Now (2008)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Cut Property Taxes Now, Inc. was a political action committee (PAC) that sponsored the initiative. The initiative was modeled after California's Proposition 13, one of the strongest property tax cuts in history.
House Speaker Marco Rubio backed the initiative by saying that the Florida legislature hadn't done enough to cut down on property taxes after Gov. Crist promised during elections they would "drop like a rock."
A rally, tagged as the "Florida Tea Party '07 Declaration Rally" gathered to launch the initiative. A group of 250 people held the rally to motivate petitioners that would be gathering signatures for the Cut Property Taxes Now initiative. The group had six weeks to gather 611,000 signatures.
In response to Rep. Rubio's criticism that his property tax cut measure was too weak, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist worked with Donald Trump to raise funding for the initiative. "The press just told me I pay over $1 million a year on one house in real estate taxes in Florida. I didn't even know. I said, 'Really? I pay that much?'" Trump told the media while standing next to Crist in a Trump Tower office. "Hopefully that sucker will come down a little bit."
- Cut Property Taxes Now
- Op-ed Petition drive offers real [[property tax (dead link)] relief ran in Sun-Sentinel, Dec. 13, 2007]
- Ballot Language
- Rubio gets behind tax reform drive, Tallahassee.com, Dec. 3, 2007
- Super-sized savings? Property tax cut may not mean big bucks for everyone, Sun Sentential, June 17, 2007
- Group suggests property tax limit, The Bradenton Herald, Nov. 29, 2007
- Miami gathering starts petition drive to cap property taxes, South Florida Sun Sentinel, Dec. 18, 2007
- Crist joins with Trump to raise money for property tax amendment, CBS, Dec. 7, 2007
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |