Florida Property Tax Exemption, Amendment 1 (1938)
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
ARTICLE X, SECTION 7
To Amend Section 7 of Article X of the Constitution of the State of Florida, relating to the exemption of homesteads from taxations, providing every person holding legal or beneficial title to real property in this State and who resides thereon and makes the same his or her permanent home or the permanent home of others legally or naturally dependent upon such person shall be entitled to exemption from taxation except for assessment for special benefits up to the assessed valuation of Five Thousand Dollars.
Section 7. Every person who has the legal title or beneficial title in equity to real property in this State and who resides thereon and in good faith makes the same his or her permanent home, or the permanent home of another or others legally or naturally dependent upon said person, shall be entitled to an exemption from all taxation, except for assessments for special benefits, up to the assessed valuation of Five Thousand Dollars on the said home and contiguous real property, as defined in Article X, Section 1 of the Constitution, for the year 1939 and thereafter. Said title may be held by the entireties, jointly, or in common with others, and said exemption may be apportioned among such of the owners as shall reside thereon, as their respective interests shall appear, but no such exemption of more than Five Thousand Dollars shall be allowed to any one person or any one dwelling house, nor shall the amount of the exemption allowed any person exceed the proportionate assessed valuation based on the interest owned by such person. The Legislature may prescribe appropriate and reasonable laws regulating the manner of establishing the right to said exemption.
Path to the ballot
- The amendment was placed on the ballot as Senate Joint Resolution 21 of 1937.
- The amendment was approved by the Governor on June 9, 1937.
- The amendment was filed in Office Secretary of State on June 10, 1937.
- Florida Amendments of the Election of 11-8-38
- Sample Ballot (in The Palm Beach Post, November 6, 1938)
- Florida Constitution Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-8-38"
- The Palm Beach Post, "Sample Ballot," November 6, 1938
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |