Florida State Property Tax, Amendment 1 (1940)
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
ARTICLE IX, SECTION 2
Section 2. The Legislature shall provide for raising revenue sufficient to defray the expenses of the State, including State appropriations for the benefit of the uniform system of free public schools provided in accordance with Article XII of the Constitution, and of the State institutions of higher learning, for each fiscal year, and also a sufficient sum to pay the principal and interest of the existing indebtedness of the State; but after December 31, A. D. 1940, no levy of ad valorem taxes upon real or personal property except intangible property, shall be made for any State purpose whatsoever; and Section 6 of Article XII be, and the same is hereby repealed.
Path to the ballot
- The amendment was placed on the ballot as Senate Joint Resolution 69 of 1939.
- The amendment was filed in Office Secretary of State on June 12, 1939.
- Florida Amendments of the Election of 11-5-40
- Sample Ballot (in The Evening Independent, November 4, 1940)
- Florida Constitution Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-5-40"
- The Evening Independent, "Sample Ballot for Election Nov. 5," November 4, 1940
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |