Four vacancies filled in Tuesday's special elections
By Tyler Millhouse
Four states-- Tennessee, Virginia, Arkansas, and California -- held special elections on March 8, 2011 to fill 5 state legislative vacancies. Four of these seats were filled in Tuesday's special election, and one proceeded to a runoff election. Three of these four seats were previously held by Republicans, and one by a Democrat. Each party retained control of its seats on Tuesday. So far, 35 of the nation's 50 state legislative special elections have been decided.
- Tennessee Senate District 18: Kerry Roberts (R) won the special election for the Tennessee State Senate District 18 seat. According to unofficial results, Roberts received 8,827 votes while his opponent -- Ken Wilber (D) -- garnered 4,316 votes. Roberts will fill the seat vacated when Diane Black (R) was elected to U.S. Congress on November 2, 2010.
- Tennessee House District 98: Antonio Parkinson (D) ran unopposed in Tuesday's election after winning a January 20 primary election. He will fill the seat vacated by the passing of Ulysses Jones, Jr. (D).
- Virginia House District 98: Gordon Helsel (R) won the special election for the Virginia House of Delegates District 91 seat. Helsel ran unopposed in the general election after winning the Republican primary on January 19. He received 2,117 votes. Helsel will fill the seat vacated by Tom Gear (R), who resigned citing health issues.
- Arkansas House District 24: Bruce Cozart (R) won the special election for the Arkansas House of Representatives District 24 seat. Cozart defeated Jerry Rephan (D). Cozart will fill the vacancy created by the passing of Keith Crass (R).
- California Assembly District 4: Since no candidate garnered a majority of the vote, the top two vote-getters -- Dennis Campanale and Beth Gaines -- advanced to the May 3 runoff election. The District 4 election is the first Proposition 14 election to require a runoff. Campanale and Gaines are running to fill the seat vacated by Gaine's husband, Ted Gaines, who was elected to the California State Senate in a January 4 special election.
- State legislative special elections, 2011
- Tennessee state legislative special elections, 2011
- Virginia state legislative special elections, 2011
- Arkansas state legislative special elections, 2011
- California state legislative special elections, 2011
- Tennessee Special Election Results, Senate District 18
- The Commercial Appeal, "Activist, firefighter Antonio Parkinson wins Tenn. House Dist. 98 seat," January 20, 2011
- The Commercial Appeal, "Special election set to replace Tennessee state Rep. Ulysses Jones," November 23, 2010
- Virginia State Board of Elections Results, House District 24, March 8, 2011
- Williamsburg Yorktown Daily, "91st Seat Special Election Set; District to be Without Representation in Session," January 05, 2011
- Arkansas Special Election Results, District 24
- Today's TVH, "Ark. gov. sets special election for House seat," December 18, 2010
- The Sacramento Bee, "Gaines, Campanale make runoff in Assembly race," March 9 2011