|Florida House of Representatives District 98|
|2004 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Birthday||July 12, 1940|
|Place of birth||New York, New York|
|Profession||Independent NIKKEN Wellness Consultant|
Sands' professional experience includes working as a businessman.
He is a member of the Colorado Agency for Jewish Education - Children with Special Needs, North Broward Hospital District CRC Mentor in Take Stock in Children Program, Plantation Chamber and Weston Business Chamber.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Sands served on these committees:
- Rules & Calendar
- Select Committee on Water Policy, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Subcommittee on Appropriations
Sands did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Sands's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 1407 - "Department of Transportation: Prohibits DOT for specified period from entering into agreement with private entity to lease existing transportation facility."
- HB 1409 - "Placement of Children: Authorizes Governor to execute new Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children; specifies provisions of compact; provides for present compact to remain in effect until Governor enters into new compact; provides rulemaking authority to DCFS."
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Sands did not run for re-election in 2012.
Sands ran for re-election to the 98th District seat in 2010. He did not have any opposition in the August 24 primary. Sands defeated Kimberly Burgess (R) in the general election held November 2, 2010.
| Florida House of Representatives, District 98 |
2010 General election results
|Franklin Sands (D)||20,725||62.9%|
|Kimberly Burgess (R)||12,210||37.1%|
In 2010, Sands raised $219,090 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Florida Hospital Association||$3,000|
|Flordai Healthcare Association||$3,000|
|Florida Police Benevolent Association||$2,500|
|Hospital Corp Of America||$2,500|
Below are Sands's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Hospital Corporation of America||$2,000|
|Real Property Probate & Trust Law Section of the FL Bar Assoc||$1,000|
|Bright House Networks||$1,000|
|FL Chamber of Commerce||$1,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Franklin + Sands + Florida + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed December 17, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Issue positions," accessed December 17, 2014
- Florida Secretary of State Election Division, "Candidate List," accessed June 21, 2012
- Florida Election Watch, "2010 Election results," accessed December 16, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 Contributions," accessed December 17, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|Florida House of Representatives District 98
| Succeeded by|
Katie Edwards (D)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |