JACKSON, Mississippi: This month Mississippi Republican Party Chairman Brad White announced the beginning of a statewide speaking tour to promote the 2010 voter ID ballot initiative. The party has dedicated $150,000 for the campaign. The initiative, if approved, would require voters to show a government-issued photo ID before being allowed to vote. At least 90,000 signatures, spread equally from Mississippi's four congressional districts are needed in order for the petition drive to be certified.
As of this month, supporters reported that they have collected a total of 25,000 signatures. The deadline for the November 2010 ballot is October 1, 2009. If initiative supporters miss the October deadline then signatures may be submitted by February 2010 for the November 2011 ballot.
* Mississippi Voter Identification Petition (2010)
- ↑ The Daily Leader,"GOP assisting voter ID petition," August 4, 2009
- ↑ WTOK, "Voter Identification Petition Drive", May 25, 2009
- ↑ Associated Press,"Mississippi GOP launches voter ID campaign," August 3, 2009
- ↑ Madison County Journal,"Perry / GOP pushing Voter ID," July 23, 2009