|Connecticut State Senate, District 10|
|February 28, 2014 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||February 25, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Connecticut House of Representatives, District 94|
|2009 - 2014|
|Bachelor's||Southern Connecticut State University|
|Date of birth||March 11, 1974|
|Place of birth||Bronx, New York|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Elections
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Scorecards
- 6 Recent news
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Holder-Winfield served in the Connecticut House of Representatives, representing District 94 from 2009 to 2014.
Holder-Winfield's professional experience includes working at the Connecticut State University-American Association of University Professors. He founded QUEST Educational Initiatives in 2003, and has been a Field Advisor with Alstom Power, an enlisted member with the United States Naval Nuclear Power Program, and an intern with Appropriations Committee Chair Bill Dyson.
He is a neighborhood representative for Empower New Haven, Chair of the Connecticut Federation of Black Democratic Clubs, and member of the Brotherhood Leadership Summit, Community Baptist Church, and People Against Injustice.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Holder-Winfield served on the following committees:
|Connecticut Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Education, Vice chair|
|• Finance, Revenue and Bonding|
|• Labor and Public Employees, Chair|
|• Public Safety and Security|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Holder-Winfield served on the following committees:
|Connecticut Committee Assignments, 2013|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Holder-Winfield served on these committees:
|Connecticut Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Human Services|
|• Judiciary, Vice Chair|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Holder-Winfield served on these committees:
|Connecticut Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Human Services|
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Connecticut State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 12, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 10, 2014. Incumbent Gary Holder-Winfield was unopposed in the Democratic primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
A special election for the position of Connecticut State Senate District 10 was called for February 25. Candidates were nominated by their party rather than chosen through a primary. The filing deadline for candidates was January 21.
|Connecticut State Senate, District 10, Special Election, 2014|
Holder-Winfield ran in the 2012 election for Connecticut House of Representatives District 94. Holder-Winfield ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012. He also ran unopposed in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Connecticut House of Representatives, District 94, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Gary Holder-Winfield Incumbent||100%||8,301|
Holder-Winfield ran for re-election to the 94th District seat in 2010. Holder-Winfield ran unopposed in the November 2 general election.
On November 4, 2008, Holder-Winfield won election to the Connecticut House of Representatives from Connecticut's 94th District, defeating Willie Greene (petitioning candidate). Holder-Winfield received 5,828 votes in the election while Greene received 940 votes. Holder-Winfield raised $30,617 for his campaign; Greene raised $795.
|Connecticut House of Representatives, District 94|
|Gary Holder-Winfield (D)||5,828|
|Willie Greene (petitioning)||940|
Comprehensive donor information for Holder-Winfield is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Holder-Winfield raised a total of $66,811 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 23, 2013.
|Gary Holder-Winfield's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Connecticut House of Representatives, District 94||$1,330|
|2010||Connecticut House of Representatives, District 94||$34,864|
|2008||Connecticut House of Representatives, District 94||$30,617|
|Grand Total Raised||$66,811|
2012Holder-Winfield won re-election to the Connecticut House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Holder-Winfield raised a total of $1,330.
|Connecticut House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Gary Holder Winfield's campaign in 2012|
|Brown, Michael V.||$100|
|Hausladen, Douglas W.||$100|
|Total Raised in 2012||$1,330|
|Source: Follow the Money|
In 2010, Holder-Winfield raised $34,864 in contributions.
His largest contributor was the Public Fund, which donated $26,000 to his campaign.
Listed below is the largest contributor to Gary Holder-Winfield's 2008 campaign.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "issues important to Connecticut's working men and women."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key environmental bills."
Yankee Institute's Voter Guide
- See also: Yankee Institute's Voter Guide
The Yankee Institute, a pro-market think tank, releases its Voter Guide after each two-year legislative term. Each member of the Connecticut General Assembly receives a score from 0 to 10 based on how he or she voted in ten key votes. The Institute selects key votes which "reveal the differences between those legislators that would harness the power of individual liberty and the market to improve lives, and those that prefer a centrally-planned approach." A legislator with a 10 voted in agreement with the Yankee Institute on all 10 votes, while a legislator with a 0 voted against the Yankee Institute's views or was absent for all 10 votes.
Holder-Winfield received a score of 0 on the Yankee Institute's Voter Guide for 2011-12, tied with 72 others for the lowest score among the 152 scored members of the Connecticut House of Representatives. This score was 2 lower than his score of 2 for the 2009-10 term.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Gary + Holder + Winfield + Connecticut + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Connecticut State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Connecticut State Legislature
- Connecticut state legislative districts
- Connecticut Senate Democrats - Rep. Gary Holder-Winfield
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008
- Gary Holder-Winfield on Facebook
- Gary Holder-Winfield on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Holder-Winfield
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed July 15, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official primary and general election results," accessed November 26, 2014
- New Haven Register, "New Haven’s Holder-Winfield now faces West Haven’s Mullins in Senate race," January 17, 2014
- nhregister.com, "Holder-Winfield wins 10th District state Senate race," February 25, 2014
- newhavenindependent.org, "Holder-Winfield Clobbers Mullins By 3-1 Margin; “Sex Predator,” Pretend-Tax Attacks Fell Flat," February 26, 2014
- governor.ct.gov, "Gov. Malloy: Special Election For State Senator In New Haven And West Haven To Be Held February 25," January 10, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Candidate list," accessed June 19, 2012
- CBS Connecticut, "2012 Primary Results," August 14, 2012
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Election Results 2012," accessed November 21, 2012
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "CT House official election results for 2008," November 5, 2008
- District 94 Connecticut House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money, "Winfield, Gary," accessed September 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 17, 2014
- Yankee Institute for Public Policy, "Yankee Institute Voter Guide for 2011-12," October 19, 2012
Toni Harp (D)
|Connecticut State Senate District 10
| Succeeded by|
|Connecticut State House District 94
| Succeeded by|
Robyn Porter (D)