Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 83|
On his campaign website, Houston outlines his platform as follows:
- Education reform: "Youth need to be motivated and excited about receiving a High School Diploma. It is time to INVEST in our school systems, administrators, and teachers. Public Schools need strong leadership and creative ways to reach EVERY CHILD. Every child does not fit into the same box and this issue must be addressed if we want to see Mississippi schools move upward."
- Representative for all: "As YOUR REPRESENTATIVE, I have a genuine concern for what is best for ALL people not just my political party affiliation. I will take the concerns of THE PEOPLE to the legislature with me at all times."
- Mississippi Health Issues/Healthcare: "Mississippi has the lowest number of health care providers in every catagory. The obesity issue that plagues our state can no longer be ignored. We must provide strong leadership to address why so many of our citizens are having heart attacks, strokes, and getting diagnosed with diabetes. These are all preventable health issues that WE MUST TAKE ACTION AGAINST AND RAISE AWARENESS."
- Unemployment/More Industry: "We must be PROACTIVE in creating job opportunities for peple of all ages and races. More programs should be developed that focus on and encourages ENTREPRENEURSHIP and SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT. We must get people motivated to work and create wealth so that people will not be dependant on "the system.""
Houston ran in the 2011 election for Mississippi House of Representatives District 83. He ran unopposed in the primary on August 2, 2011. Republican incumbent Elton Gregory Snowden ran unopposed in the August 2 Republican primary. The general election took place on November 8, 2011.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 83 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Elton Gregory Snowden Incumbent||41.7%||2,379|
- Lauderdale/Clark County Democratic Parties
- The Mississippi Alliance of State Employees
- The Mississippi Congressional Black Caucus
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |