|New Jersey General Assembly District 36|
|2006 - Present|
|Years in position||7|
|State Deputy Speaker of the Assembly|
|2012 - Present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next election||November 5, 2013|
|Acting Mayor, City of Passaic|
|Place of birth||Pennsauken, NJ|
|Profession||Investment Consultant and Vice President, Private Client Group|
Schaer earned his B.A. in Political Science from American University. His professional experience includes working as vice-president and investment consultant for a private client group.
- A260 Provides for conscientious exemption to mandatory immunizations.
- A2803 Abolishes Department of Personnel; transfers functions, powers, and duties primarily to new Civil Service Commission in but not of Department of Labor and Workforce Development; creates Civil Service Reform Task Force.
- A3162 Establishes the "New Jersey-Israel Commission" as a permanent commission in the Department of State.
- A3458 Creates permanent paper voting record pilot program; removes requirement that voting machines produce voter-verified paper record by January 1, 2009.
Schaer lists four main campaign themes on his Official Campaign website:
- Property Tax Relief for Middle-Class Families
- Supporting our Schools and Students
- Getting New Jersey Back to Work
- Shared Sacrifice and Economic Fairness
Schaer is running in the 2013 election for New Jersey General Assembly District 36. Schaer is bracketed with Marlene Caride and opposed by Aharon Cohn and Sam Krause in the June 4 Democratic primary. The general election takes place on November 5, 2013.
Running for re-election in the November 3, 2009 general election, Schaer received 21,908 votes (28%), defeating Republican challengers Carmen Pio Costa and Donald Diorio. He was bracketed with Frederick Scalera.
|New Jersey Assembly General Election, Thirty-Sixth Legislative District (2009)|
|Frederick Scalera (D)||23,353|
|Gary S. Schaer (D)||22,089|
|Carmen Pio Costa (R)||17,035|
|Donald Diorio (R)||16,691|
In 2011, Schaer received $1,058,546 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New Jersey General Assembly 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Gary Schaer's campaign in 2011|
|New Jersey Regional Council Of Carpenters||$24,400|
|Medical Society Of New Jersey||$16,400|
|New Jersey Bankers Association||$13,000|
|Blue Cross Blue Shield||$9,250|
|New Jersey State Pipe Trades Association||$9,200|
|Total Raised in 2011||$1,058,546|
|Total Votes received in 2011||17,262|
|Cost of each vote received||$61.32|
Below are Schaer's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2009 election:
|Medical Society Of New Jersey||$15,200|
|New Jersey Education Association||$10,200|
|New Jersey Business & Industry Association||$9,700|
|Communications Workers New Jersey||$9,200|
|Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Of New Jersey||$8,500|
Schaer was endorsed by:
Schaer and his wife, Donna, have three children.
Schaer currently also serves on the Passaic City Council, a position he has held since 1994. He is the director of Urban Enterprise Zone, and has previously served as commissioner of the Passaic County Technical Institute (1999-2003), and the Passaic Housing Authority (1992-1996).
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gary + Schaer + New + Jersey + General + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Blanco takes himself out of the LG mix - PolitickerNJ
- Herald News: Blanco's big win - NorthJersey.com
- NJ Law Requires Insurers to Provide 1-Page Summary of Homeowners Coverage - Insurance Journal
- NJ Lottery contract could earn company $526M - Asbury Park Press
- Rutgers reaches settlement with Mike Rice; former coach to receive $475K - NJ.com
- Seeing healthy profits from ailing hospitals, 2 groups have big plans for NJ - NJ.com
- Opinion: Democrats and Republicans Stockpile Ammo for Budget Battle - Patch.com
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- New Jersey General Assembly - Rep. Gary Schaer
- Gary Schaer Official Campaign website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- NJ Assembly Dems - Assm. Schaer
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign Contributions: 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005
- Gary Schaer on Facebook
- ↑ "NJ Assembly Dems - Assm. Schaer", Accessed May 16, 2013
- ↑ New Jersey Legislature - Bills by Sponsor
- ↑ "Gary Schaer Official Campaign website", Accessed May 16, 2013
- ↑ New Jersey Department of State, 2011 Official General Assembly Primary Candidate List
- ↑ Star Ledger 2009 Election Results, November 4, 2009
- ↑ Official New Jersey Assembly General Election Results
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign contributions
- ↑ Politicker NJ, 2011 AFL-CIO endorsed candidates, accessed Aug. 5, 2011
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Assemblyman Schaer
|New Jersey General Assembly District 36
| Succeeded by|
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |
Open Public Records Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |