|North Carolina State Senate, District 25|
|January 1, 2013 - January 1, 2015|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
McLaurin is the president of the Swink-Quality Oil Company.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, McLaurin served on the following committees:
|North Carolina Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture/Environment/Natural Resources|
|• Appropriations on Natural and Economic Resources|
|• Pensions & Retirement & Aging|
|• State and Local Government|
McLaurin's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Jobs And The Economy
- Excerpt: "As your state senator, I will work to support policies and a strategy that spurs economic growth by targeting and attracting companies in growth industries. By using this approach, we can be open to new and emerging sectors in our economy."
- Excerpt: "I will be a champion for early education, our public schools, our community colleges and our university system to give more people and our state a better shot at economic prosperity over future decades. Good jobs start with great schools."
- Excerpt: "I support the expansion of pre-k to all those children who, through no fault of their own, need this educational experience."
- Excerpt: "As State Senator, I will advocate for improved resources in the public school classroom. It’s vital we ensure teaching once again becomes an attractive and respected profession. We must support teachers so we can get the best and the brightest working in the classroom."
- Excerpt: "As State Senator I will promote a fresh and comprehensive approach to work force training that equips today’s employees with the skills they need to compete for employment in today’s growth industries. I will work to improve access to relevant work force training programs for displaced employees."
Elections for the office of North Carolina State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 6, 2014. The general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 28, 2014. Incumbent Gene McLaurin was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Tom McInnis was unopposed in the Republican primary. P.H. Dawkins ran as a Libertarian candidate. McInnis defeated McLaurin and Dawkins in the general election.
|North Carolina State Senate, District 25 General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Gene McLaurin Incumbent||47.1%||26,632|
McLaurin ran in the 2012 election for North Carolina State Senate District 25. He defeated Daniel Wilson in the Democratic primary on May 8. He defeated Gene McIntyre (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|North Carolina State Senate, District 25, General Election, 2012|
|North Carolina State Senate District 25 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for McLaurin is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, McLaurin raised a total of $277,832 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 28, 2013.
|Gene McLaurin's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||North Carolina State Senate, District 25||$277,832|
|Grand Total Raised||$277,832|
2012McLaurin won election to the North Carolina State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, McLaurin raised a total of $277,832.
|North Carolina State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Gene McLaurin's campaign in 2012|
|North Carolina Democratic Party||$114,461|
|Mclaurin II, Eugene Bertram||$13,297|
|North Carolina Petroleum Marketers Association||$6,000|
|North Carolina Association of Realtors||$5,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$277,832|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the North Carolina General Assembly was in session from January 9 to July 26. In 2014, the North Carolina General Assembly will be in session from May 14 through a date to be determined by the legislature.
- North Carolina League of Conservation Voters: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on environment and conservation issues.
- The American Conservative Union: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- Civitas Action: 2013 Full Rankings
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues and ideals.
- Environment North Carolina: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key environmental issues.
- Environment North Carolina: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Democracy North Carolina: 2013 Legislative Report Card
- Legislators are scored on their votes on 20 bills picked by the organization that they consider the worst of the session.
- N.C. Values Coalition: 2014 Pro-family Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills relating to pro-family and Biblical values.
- North Carolina Voters for Animal Welfare: 2014 Legislative Report Cards
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills relating to animal welfare, sponsoring animal welfare bills, completing the NCVAW survey and responsiveness to animal advocates constituents.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Gene + McLaurin + North Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina State Senate
- Senate Committees
- North Carolina General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- North Carolina state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Gene McLaurin on Facebook
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- North Carolina General Assembly, legislative profile," accessed February 5, 2013
- genemclaurin.net, "Issues," accessed August 18, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Primary Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed March 7, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "General Election Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed August 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "05/06/2014 Official Primary Election Results - Statewide," accessed December 5, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "11/04/2014 Official General Election Results - Statewide," accessed December 5, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Primary Results, 2012," accessed April 15, 2014
- North Carolina Board of Elections, "Candidate lists," accessed March 5, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "McLaurin II, Eugene Bertram," accessed August 28, 2013
|North Carolina State Senate District 25
2013-January 1, 2015
| Succeeded by|
Tom McInnis (R)