|North Carolina State Senate|
|January 1, 2013 - present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||North Carolina State Senate elections, November 6, 2012|
|First elected||North Carolina State Senate elections, November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
McLaurin is the president of the Swink-Quality Oil Company.
McLaurin's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Re-building the economy
- Excerpt:"My belief in rebuilding our economy is built on the premise that our education and business systems are intimately tied together. We must invest in our public schools, community colleges, and university system in order to create a more robust stream of talent to fuel 21st century jobs. "
Comprehensive economic development
- Excerpt:"We need a comprehensive approach to our state's economic development. This means bringing together our leaders in business, industry, finance, education and government to focus on developing emerging and innovative sectors. We must recruit specific industries – not just individual companies. We need to meet today's challenges while retaining the opportunities for future generations."
Investing in education
- Excerpt:"I will be a champion for early education, our public schools, our community colleges and our university system to give more people and our state a better shot at economic prosperity over future decades."
- Excerpt:"I fully support the expansion of pre-k to all those children who, through no fault of their own, deserve and have the right to that education. "
- Excerpt:"I will advocate education policies that give our local school systems greater flexibility and encourage innovative approaches to teaching and learning. But with greater flexibility and independence must come improved accountability. I will expect a proper return on our investment -- holding school systems, administrators and educators responsible for their performance."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, McLaurin served on the following committees:
|North Carolina Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture/Environment/Natural Resources|
|• Appropriations on Natural and Economic Resources|
|• Pensions & Retirement & Aging|
|• State and Local Government|
McLaurin ran in the 2012 election for North Carolina State Senate District 25. He defeated Daniel Wilson in the Democratic primary on May 8. He defeated Gene McIntyre (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|North Carolina State Senate, District 25, General Election, 2012|
|North Carolina State Senate District 25 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Gene + McLaurin + North Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Sen. McLaurin lobbies for Anson County approval of fracking permits - Ansonrecord
- Making sense of General Assembly's flurry of bills - Ansonrecord
- Honoring a NC legend and local agriculture - Ansonrecord
- Community Calendar for May 18, 2013 - Richmond County Daily Journal
- Today @NCCapitol (May 7): Senate Republicans to unveil tax reform plans - WRAL.com
- NC Senate OKs Drug Testing Requirement For Welfare - CBS Local
- Energy bill shows voice vote unreliable - WRAL.com
- Lawmakers say Raleigh divided as ever - Richmond County Daily Journal
- Gun bill worries lawmakers - Laurinburg Exchange
- Morning Memo: Voter ID week starts, Foxx gets FBI vetting - News & Observer
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Office website
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Gene McLaurin on Facebook
|North Carolina State Senate District 25
| Succeeded by|