|Hawaii House of Representatives District 11|
|Minority Whip, Hawaii State House of Representatives|
|Per diem||$175/day off Oahu; $10/day on Oahu|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Associate's||University of Hawaii at Maui|
|Birthday||September 28, 1960|
|Place of birth||Los Angeles, CA|
George Fontaine (b. September 28, 1960) is a former Republican member of the Hawaii House of Representatives, representing District 11 from 2010 to 2012. He served as House Minority Whip from 2011 to 2012.
Fontaine is a consultant at HNU Energy, a Maui firm that specializes in LED lighting and solar voltaics. He owned Maui Gateway, a local internet service provider, from 1996 to 2005, and served as a captain in the Maui Police Department from 1980 to 2005. He earned an A.S. in the Administration of Justice from the University of Hawaii at Maui.
Fontaine's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- "HB491- Directed the Department of Public Safety to pursue professional accreditation of the State Sherriff Division. HB491 passed both Houses unanimously and was signed into law as Act 111 by Gov. Abercrombie on June 14."
- "HB1622- Allows for the construction of a privately funded Law Enforcement Memorial. On April 25 I joined Governor Abercrombie as he signed HB1622 into law as Act 14."
- "HR157- Requested a Federal emergency declaration for Maui and Hawaii Counties--which we received from the Obama Administration April 8."
- "HB688- Requires the Department of Education to monitor compliance with anti-bullying rules and statutes. After passing both Houses unanimously, HB688 was signed into law as Act 214 on July 11th."
- "HB1333- Eased the settling of business disputes by giving access to Small Claims Court for cases of $5000 or less. HB 1333 became law as Act 141 on June 20."
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Fontaine served on these committees:
- Education Committee
- Judiciary Committee
- Labor & Public Employment Committee
- Public Safety & Military Affairs Committee
- Transportation Committee
Fontaine ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Hawaii House of Representatives District 11. Fontaine ran unopposed in the August 11 Republican primary and was defeated by Kaniela Ing (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 11, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||George Fontaine Incumbent||36.5%||2,772|
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 11 (2010)|
|George Fontaine (R)||3,051||48.9%|
|Joseph Bertram (D)||2,879||46.1%|
In 2010, Fontaine raised $25,331 in contributions.
His five largest contributors were:
|Hawaii Association Of Realtors||$2,000|
|Maui County Republican Party||$2,000|
Fontaine and his wife, Paige, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "George + Fontaine + Hawaii + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Campaign Twitter
- Hawaii House of Representatives - George Fontaine
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- George Fontaine, "Issues," accessed September 27, 2012
- civilbeat.com, " Unofficial 2012 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2012 General election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed December 13, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
Joe Bertram (D)
|Hawaii House of Representives District 11
| Succeeded by|
Kaniela Ing (D)