Georgia Employment Contract Enforcement, Amendment 1 (2010)
|Preamble • I • II • III • IV • V • VI • VII • VIII • IX • X • XI|
- See also: 2010 ballot measure election results
|Amendment 1 (Employment Contracts)|
Official results obtained from the Georgia Secretary of State
Text of measure
The ballot question read as follows:
Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended so as to make Georgia more economically competitive by authorizing legislation to uphold reasonable competitive agreements?
- (__) Yes
- (__) No
Media editorial positions
- Savannah Morning News opposed Amendment 1. The editorial board said, "GEORGIA VOTERS who foresee starting their own businesses or simply going to work for a different employer in their current fields should vote "No" on Amendment 1. If for no other reason, Georgians should object to this measure based on the fraudulent wording of the ballot item...Amendment 1 would upset that balance of power, and thus deserves a "No" vote on Nov. 2."
- The Athens Banner-Herald opposed Amendment 1. The editorial board said, "All in all, the circumstances under which Amendment 1 is being presented to voters represent a cynical attempt to manipulate the results of the referendum on the proposal. If for no other reason than that, proponents of the amendment deserve to see it go down in defeat."
- Creative Loafing said, "...hoodwinking voters into amending the Constitution with a ballot question that reads like it was dictated by a lobbyist is the wrong way to modernize Georgia's contract laws."
Path to the ballot
- See also: How the Georgia Constitution is amended
In order to move the proposed constitutional amendment to the 2010 ballot the measure required two-thirds approval in both the House and Senate. The proposed legislation was approved by both houses and submitted to the Governor of Georgia on May 7, 2010.
- HR 178 summary
- HR 178 full text
- Proposed Constitutional Amendments and State-Wide Referendum Question prepared by the Georgia Secretary of State's office.
- Atlanta Progressive News,"APN Overview of Proposed 2010 Georgia Amendments 1 and 2," October 21, 2010
- The Blackshear Times,"Pay attention to constitutional amendments on the ballot," October 6, 2010
- ↑ Georgia Legislature,"HR 178 summary," retrieved June 22, 2010
- ↑ Examiner,"Amendment One: Upholding reasonable competitive agreements?," October 22, 2010
- ↑ Georgia Legislature,"HR 178 full text," retrieved June 22, 2010
- ↑ Savannah Morning News,"Amendment 1: No," October 8, 2010
- ↑ Athens Banner-Herald,"Editorial: Amendment 1 is too confusing for words," October 18, 2010
- ↑ Creative Loafing,"Our pick for ballot measures: Yes to all (except Amendment 1)," October 27, 2010
- ↑ Georgia Legislature,"HR 178 Status History," retrieved June 22, 2010
State of Georgia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | State Superintendent of Schools | Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of School Districts |