Georgia Marriage Amendment, Question 1 (2004)
Text of measure
The text of the measure said:
Shall the Constitution be amended so as to provide that this state shall recognize as marriage only the union of man and woman?
This first paragraph of this proposal provides that Georgia shall recognize as marriage only the union of man and woman and prohibits marriages between persons of the same sex in this state. The second paragraph of this proposal further provides that the state: (1) shall not recognize any union between persons of the same sex as being entitled to the benefits of marriage; (2) shall not give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other state or jurisdiction respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex where that relationship is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other state or jurisdiction; and (3) removes from the jurisdiction of Georgia's courts the ability to grant a divorce or separate maintenance or otherwise consider or rule on parties' rights arising from or in connection with such a same sex relationship.
Financing the campaign
$92,765 was spent to promote the measure, while nothing was spent to oppose it.
The two major donors to the pro-campaign were:
- Yes! Marriage Amendment Alliance, $75,115.
- Focus on the Family Georgia Marriage Amendment Committee, $17,650.
The following are measures that banned or attempted to ban same-sex marriages. Note that a number of them have been overturned.
- Alaska Marriage Amendment, Measure 2 (1998)
- Nevada Marriage Amendment, Question 2 (2002)
- Missouri Marriage Definition, Amendment 2 (August 2004)
- Louisiana Marriage Amendment, Question 1 (September 2004)
- Arkansas Same-Sex Marriage Ban, Proposed Constitutional Amendment 3 (2004)
- Georgia Marriage Amendment, Question 1 (2004)
- Kentucky Marriage Amendment (2004)
- Michigan Marriage Amendment, Proposal 2 (2004)
- Mississippi Marriage Definition, Amendment 1 (2004)
- Montana Marriage Verification, Measure CI-96 (2004)
- North Dakota Definition of Marriage, Constitutional Measure 1 (2004)
- Ohio Issue 1, the Marriage Amendment (2004)
- Oklahoma Marriage Question 711 (2004)
- Oregon Marriage Measure 36 (2004)
- Utah Same-Sex Marriage Ban, Amendment 3 (2004)
- Kansas Marriage Amendment (2005)
- Texas Definition of Marriage Act, Proposition 2 (2005)
- Alabama Sanctity of Marriage, Constitutional Amendment 774 (June 2006)
- Arizona Protect Marriage, Proposition 107 (2006)
- Colorado Definition of Marriage, Initiative 43 (2006)
- Idaho Marriage Definition, HJR 2 (2006)
- South Dakota Marriage Amendment (2006)
- Tennessee Same-Sex Marriage Ban, Amendment 1 (2006)
- Virginia Question 1, Marriage Amendment (2006)
- Wisconsin Marriage Amendment, Question 1 (2006)
- Arizona Marriage Protection, Proposition 102 (2008)
- California Proposition 8, the "Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry" Initiative (2008)
- Florida Definition of Marriage, Amendment 2 (2008)
- North Carolina Same-Sex Marriage, Amendment 1 (May 2012)
- Minnesota Same-Sex Marriage Amendment, Amendment 1 (2012)
- Georgia 2004 ballot measures
- List of Georgia ballot measures
- 2004 ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by year
- List of ballot measures by state
State of Georgia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | State Superintendent of Schools | Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |