|Alabama State Senate District 13|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2018|
|Years in position||5|
|Senate Majority Whip|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
|Bachelor's||Livington State University|
|Other||ED, Jacksonville State University|
|Service/branch||Alabama National Guard|
|Years of service||1959-1997|
|Date of birth||November 17, 1937|
|Place of birth||Delta, AL|
|Profession||Real Estate Developer|
|(Archived) Personal website|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Endorsements
- 7 Scorecards
- 8 Personal
- 9 Recent news
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
Dial served on the Lineville City Council from 1972 to 1974. He then served in the Alabama House of Representatives from 1974 to 1982. He then served in the Alabama State Senate.
Dial earned his B.S. from Livington State University and his E.D. from Jacksonville State University. He also attended graduate studies at Auburn University. Dial has worked for Lineville High School as a teacher and coach. He is currently a self-employed real estate developer. Dial also served in the Alabama National Guard as a Brigadier General.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Dial served on the following committees:
|Alabama Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Finance and Taxation Education|
|• Health and Human Services, Chair|
|• Transportation and Energy|
|• Veterans and Military Affairs|
Dial served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
|Alabama Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Children, Youth Affairs and Human Resources|
|• Finance and Taxation Education, Vice chair|
|• Local Legislation No. 1, Chair|
|• Veterans and Military Affairs|
Dial's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Jobs Security & New Opportunities
- Excerpt: "East Alabama has a unique opportunity to revive our industries and small towns. Doing so will take a collective effort, and the results will be job security for the employed and new opportunities for those who need work. We must ensure that government gets out of the way of the private sector."
- Excerpt: "Public education is near and dear to me. I’m a product of the system, and my wife spent over twenty years as a school counselor. Because education is the foundation for success in life, we must work to make it the best school system it can be."
- Helping Small Business
- Excerpt: "Nothing is more vital to our economy than small businesses. Those of us in positions of leadership must do our part to make them grow and prosper. Local business success translates to local jobs."
- Roads & Bridges
- Excerpt: "One of the keys to economic development and growth is an infrastructure to accommodate and enhance that progress. I will continue to secure funding to upgrade our road, bridge and sewer systems throughout the district."
- Removing Sales Tax from Groceries
- Excerpt: "When you tax a necessity like groceries, it puts a burden on those who are in need the most. I have worked for a long time to eliminate this tax and give relief to people struggling to make ends meet, and I’ll continue that fight."
- Access to Healthcare
- Excerpt: "Just because we live in rural Alabama doesn’t mean we should be deprived of good medical care. The biggest budget item we have in Montgomery is Medicaid. Unfortunately, the expenses of this program far outweigh the available revenue, but we continue to responsibly address the issue."
- Water Wars
- Excerpt: "I’ve been on the front lines to protect our water interests for years. We must continue flexing our muscle in the dispute with Tennessee and Georgia, because it’s our water. They don’t have a right to take it from us."
Dial's website highlighted the following campaign issues:
- Jobs, Jobs, Jobs & The Economy
- Excerpt: "We cannot continue to sit idly by while both large and small businesses suffer... First, we must stop the bleeding... Second, once the bleeding has stopped, we must work diligently to bring new businesses to our area but not at the expense of those already here."
- Cut Government Waste & Lower Taxes
- Excerpt: "I will oppose increasing taxes and government spending because more taxes means less jobs. I will also look for ways to cut government spending so that you can keep more of your money in your own pocket."
- Support & Improve Education
- Excerpt: "Our tax dollars should be spent directly on student instruction, not on state government bureaucracy or special “pork “ projects. Our state should increase the quality of the education provided to our students by providing incentives to teachers who perform."
- Protecting Life & Our Conservative Values
- Excerpt: "As a state legislator, I will work diligently to protect life, both of the unborn and the disabled in our state. I will also make sure the government stays out of our lives and doesn’t tell us how to raise our families or how to spend our money."
- Advancing Rural Alabama
- Excerpt: "As your state senator, I will work to protect family farms across our state by keeping taxes low on their land and their products. I will also be a tireless advocate to attract new jobs to our area that are ideally suited for rural Alabama."
- Veterans & The Military
- Excerpt: "I will also be an advocate for funding for various programs for our veterans and for the Alabama State Defense Force..."
- Illegal Immigration
- Excerpt: "I support Arizona’s new immigration law and will support similar measures here in Alabama."
- Excerpt: "I am personally opposed to gambling in Alabama, but I support a clean up or down vote of the people to decide this issue once and for all."
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Darrell Turner was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Gerald Dial defeated Tim Sprayberry in the Republican primary. Dial then defeated Turner and Bill Fuller (I) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|Alabama State Senate District 13, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Gerald Dial Incumbent||54.2%||16,758|
|Alabama State Senate, District 13 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Gerald Dial Incumbent||51.5%||7,281|
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
|Alabama State Senate, District 13 General election (2010)|
|Gerald Dial (R)||18,800|
|Greg Varner (D)||18,443|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Dial raised $404,209 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Republican Party||$69,936|
|Business Council Of Alabama||$55,000|
|Alabama Forestry Association||$25,000|
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$13,205|
In 2010, Dial's endorsements included the following:
- The Alabama Tea Party Express
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of April 2015, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dial and his wife, Faye, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Gerald + Dial + Alabama + Senate." Because the results are from a google search, it is possible that some of the links below are not actually related to the legislator.
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama State Senate
- Alabama State Senate Committees
- Alabama State Legislature Joint Committees
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Gerald Dial's campaign website (Archived)
- Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Gerald Dial on Facebook
- Gerald Dial on Twitter
- Gerald Dial, "Issues," accessed May 1, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- AL.com, "Alabama 2014 general election: Results for statewide and congressional races," November 4, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Announces Alabama Leadership Team," March 12, 2012 (timed out)
- The Alabama Tea Party Express, "Endorsements," November 2, 2010
|Alabama State Senate District 13
| Succeeded by|