Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Board member, Capistrano Unified Board of Trustees, Trustee Area 6|
|Bachelor's||University of California, Irvine|
|Profession||Educational nonprofit board member|
Jones was a Democratic candidate for District 38 of the California State Senate. The primary election was on June 8, 2010, and the general election was on November 2, 2010. Jones lost the election to incumbent Republican Kristi Stone.
Jones earned her B.A. from the University of California, Irvine. She went on to receive her M.B.A. from Northeastern University. Jones has worked for over 20 years for technology firms in the fields of systems analysis and engineering, product management, marketing and sales. Jones and her husband, Tom, have two children. They reside in San Juan Capistrano, California. In addition to running for state office, Jones served on the Voter Services Committee of the California Democratic Party from 2006 to 2008.
The seats from Trustee Areas 4, 6 and 7 on the Capistrano Unified School District Board of Trustees are up for general election on November 4, 2014. No incumbent is running for re-election in Trustee Area 4, leaving the race to two candidates, Craig P. Alexander and Martha McNicholas. In the Trustee Area 6 race, incumbent Ellen M. Addonizio will face challenger Gila Jones. The Trustee Area 7 race features incumbent Lynn Hatton-Hodson and challenger Julie Collier.
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2010
What's at stake?
Issues in the district
New superintendent starts
In August 2014, the Capistrano Unified School District welcomed Kirsten Vital as its new superintendent. Before serving Capistrano Unified, Vital served for over five years as Alameda Unified School District's superintendent. Vital took the reins from Joe Farley, Capistrano Unified's former superintendent who officially retired July 1, 2014.
About the district
Capistrano Unified School District is located in Orange County, California. The county seat of Orange County is Santa Ana. Orange County was home to 3,114,363 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Capistrano Unified School District was the 10th-largest school district by enrollment in California and served 53,170 students.
Orange County outperformed the rest of California in terms of education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 36.6 percent of Orange County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent for California as a whole. The median household income for Orange County was $75,566 compared to $61,400 for the entire state. The percentage of people below poverty level for Orange County was 11.7 percent while it was 15.3 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gila + Jones + Capistrano + Unified + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Capistrano Unified School District
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- List of candidates certified for the June 8, 2010 primary in California
- Orange County Registrar of Voters, "Contest/Candidate Proof List General Election 2014," accessed August 18, 2014
- "Project Vote Smart," "Gila Jones' Biography" accessed October 25, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed March 13, 2014
- Contra Costa Times, "Alameda: A farewell to schools Superintendent Kirsten Vital," July 23, 2014
- Orange County Register, "Capistrano district hires Alameda superintendent as schools chief," June 19, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Orange County, California," accessed July 11, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- Orange County Registrar of Voters, "Election Results Archive," accessed July 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Capistrano Unified School District Elections|
|Orange County, California|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||Trustee Area 4: • Craig P. Alexander • Martha McNicholas |
Trustee Area 6: • Incumbent, Ellen M. Addonizio • Gila Jones
Trustee Area 7: • Incumbent, Lynn Hatton-Hodson • Julie Collier
|Important information:||What's at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|