Gloucester County, Virginia
Gloucester County is within the Commonwealth of Virginia in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area in the USA. Formed in 1651, the county was named for Henry Stuart, Duke of Gloucester, third son of King Charles I of Great Britain. Located in the Middle Peninsula region, it borders the York River and the lower Chesapeake Bay. It is about 75 miles east of Virginia's capital, Richmond. According to the 2010 Census, the population is 36,858. The county seat is Gloucester Courthouse.
- See also: Evaluation of Virginia county websites
In 2013 Gloucester County earned a Sunny Award for having a perfect website transparency score.
This site was most recently evaluated on March 27, 2015.
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived dating back to 2002.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Administrative Officials
- Permits and zoning
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2002 are available.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the county FOIA officer. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- A public records form is provided.
- A fee schedule for documents is provided.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state, and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Residents are able to pay taxes online.
Board of Supervisors
The Code of Virginia provides that each county be governed by a board of supervisors, which is elected by the qualified voters. The Gloucester County Board of Supervisors is composed of seven members, one from each of the five magisterial districts, and two at-large members elected from the entire county. Supervisors are elected for four-year terms which are staggered at two-year intervals. The election of supervisors is held as a part of the November general election. At the first meeting of the year, the board conducts an organizational meeting and elects one of its members to serve as chairperson and another to serve as vice-chairperson.
The County Administrator's Office works directly with the Gloucester County Board of Supervisors to carry out the following duties:
- To make recommendations to the Board concerning the affairs of the County;
- To keep the Board apprised of the County's financial condition;
- To prepare, submit and administer the annual County budget;
- To preaudit all claims against the County;
- To manage the County and its various departments on a daily basis
- VACO Annual Membership dues (2012): $8,137.00
- NACO Annual Membership dues (2012): $ 699.00
Transparency and Public Records
The county has a good track record with complying with public records and providing information to residents. The county has created a Transparency Initiative that provides all information to be considered an A+ by Sunshine Review.
Gloucester County added a Meeting Portal to its Transparency Initiative, which allows users to watch meetings live via streaming video and also watch or listen to previous meetings. Meeting minutes archives are also now searchable by keyword.
County Office Address:
6467 Main Street
Gloucester, VA 23061
- Gloucester County home page & the Gloucester Transparency Initiative
- Gloucester County on e-Reference
- Gloucester County on US Census
- Gloucester County Public Schools
- Gloucester County on PublicRecords.OnlineSearches.com
- Gloucester County Links and News
- Gloucester County on ePodunk
- Smart Region, Hampton Roads Communities Grades for Government Transparency, Oct. 17, 2010</ref>
- Cooper Center, "Population Estimates," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Budgets," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Meeting Minutes and Agendas," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Meeting Calendar," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Meeting Video, Acessed: December 16, 2012
- Gloucester County, "Elected Officials," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, Contact Us," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Administrative Officials," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Planning and Zoning," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Building Permits," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Audits," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Bids," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Bid Results," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "Lobbying," accessed March 27, 2015
- Glouchester County, FOIA request form, cost, and contact information," accessed March 27, 2015
- Gloucester County, "About the Administrator," accessed March 27, 2015
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |