The Government Oversight Committee is a standing committee of the Rhode Island State Senate.
Per Section 5 of the Senate Rules, committees of the Rhode Island State Senate are assigned by the President of the Senate. Senators are appointed to standing committees every two years, with current incumbents serving until January 6, 2015. Each standing committee is made up of the President of the Senate, and the Majority and Minority Leaders of the Senate. These three leaders are considered to be ex officio members with voting rights in all committees. Any vacancies that have occurred shall be filled by the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate has the power to appoint the chair, vice chair and secretary among the membership of each committee.
See rules: 2013-- S 0378 Substitute A
||It shall be the duty of the committee on government oversight to consider the appointments of the governor referred to it by the senate which require the advice and consent of the senate, and (1) to monitor and evaluate past, current and prospective performance of public bodies and statutory entities, including quasi-public agencies that exercise executive governmental functions (except public bodies and statutory entities of the legislative and judiciary branches of the state) and any other public or private person, including any agencies, partnerships, corporation or business entity insofar as such person is acting on behalf of and/or in place of any public agency; (2) to consider the organization, reorganization, creation or termination of such public bodies, statutory entities, including quasi-public agencies and public or private persons; (3) to review and consider the reports of the auditor general; (4) to report its opinion and/or recommendation of legislation or action regarding the foregoing matters; (5) to consider any bill referred to it by the senate, including, but not limited to any act, resolve, resolution or petition; and (6) to consider such other matters that are referred to it by the senate.
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2013 legislative session.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Rhode Island State Legislature, "2013 -- S 0378 Substitute A," accessed January 6, 2014(Section 5.2)
- ↑ Rhode Island State Legislature, "2013 -- S 0378 Substitute A," accessed January 6, 2014(Section 5.3)
- ↑ Rhode Island State Legislature, "2013 -- S 0378 Substitute A," accessed January 6, 2014(Section 5.4)
- ↑ Rhode Island State Legislature, "2013-- S 0378 Substitute A," accessed January 7, 2014(Section 5.1-10)
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.