Governor of South Dakota
|South Dakota Governor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$48,426,683|
|Term limits:||Two consecutive terms|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||South Dakota Constitution, Article IV, Section I|
|Assumed office:||January 8, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other South Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Under Article IV, Section I:
The executive power of the state is vested in the Governor.
| 2013 • 2012 • 2011 • 2010 |
Lists of candidates
|Current Lt. Governors|
|Lt. Governor Elections|
|2013 • 2012 • 2011 • 2010|
A candidate for the office of the governor must be:
- a citizen of the United States
- at least 21 years old
- a resident of South Dakota for at least two years as of the election
South Dakota elects governors in the midterm elections, that is, even years that are not Presidential election years. For South Dakota, 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018 are all gubernatorial election years. Legally, the gubernatorial inauguration is always set for the first Tuesday after the first Monday in the January following an election. Thus, January 4, 2011 and January 6, 2015 are inaugural days.
- See also: States with gubernatorial term limits
South Dakota governors are restricted to two consecutive terms in office, after which they must wait one term before being eligible to run again.
|Commencing with the 1974 general election, no person shall be elected to more than two consecutive terms as Governor...|
- See also: How gubernatorial vacancies are filled
Details of vacancy appointments are addressed under Article IV, Section 6.
Any time the Governor dies, resigns, is removed or convicted, the Lieutenant Governor succeeds to office with the full powers and duties of the Governor.
If the Governor is absent or unable to discharge the office, the Lieutenant Governor serves as Governor until the disability is removed or for the residue of the term.
In matters of determining that the Governor is continuously absent or unable to discharge for the office, the Supreme Court of South Dakota shall have "original and exclusive jurisdiction."
The governor serves as a spokesman for the state, oversees the executive branch, appoints the members of his cabinet, is the commander-in-chief of the South Dakota National Guard, and may grant pardons to those convicted of criminal offenses under state law, except in cases of treason and impeachment (§ 3).
He is also actively involved in the legislative process. He may introduce legislation and has the power to veto bills passed by the legislature (§ 4).
Other duties and privileges of the office include:
- Commissioning all offices of the state (§ 3)
- Requiring written information from any state officer on any aspect of her office and duties (§ 3)
- Addressing the General Assembly at the beginning of each regular session and at other times she deems necessary on the state of the state and making recommendations for legislation (§ 3)
- Convening special sessions of the legislature or of either chamber alone (§ 3)
- Making changes in the organization of "offices, boards, commissions, agencies and instrumentalities, and in allocation of their functions, powers and duties, as he considers necessary for efficient administration" (§ 8)
- Acting as supervisor of each principle department in the executive branch and appointing the executive to each department (§ 9)
- Appointing all offices not otherwise provided for, with the advice and consent of the Senate, and making interim appointments when the Senate is in recess (§ 9)
The budget for the Governor's Office in Fiscal Year 2013 was $ 48,426,683.
- See also: Comparison of gubernatorial salaries
The governor's salary is legally fixed and may not be raised or decreased effective during the current term.
As of 2010, the Governor of South Dakota is paid $115,331 a year, the 33rd highest gubernatorial salary in America.
Office of the Governor
500 E. Capitol Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501
- South Dakota Governor Dennis Daugaard
- Lieutenant Governor of South Dakota
- Lieutenant Governor Matthew Michels
- South Dakota Attorney General
- South Dakota Secretary of State
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |
Sunshine Law | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of Towns |
List of School Districts |