Greene County, Missouri
Portions of this article were taken from Wikipedia.
Greene County is one of 114 counties in Missouri. As of 2010, the population was 275,174 making it the fourth most populated county in Missouri. Its county seat is Springfield. The county was organized in 1833 and is named after American Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene. Greene County is part of the Springfield Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Last rated on March 5, 2012.
- Main article: Evaluation of Missouri county websites
- Budget is online.
- County Commissioners and other elected officials are listed with contact information.
- Building permits and zoning details are provided.
- Tax records available in a searchable database. Local tax information provided.
- County Commission meetings for the week and agendas are posted. However, meeting minutes are not.
- Administrative officials listed with phone numbers, but no email information is listed.
- County audits are not online.
- Current bids are listed, but all awarded bids are not.
- Does not disclose if belongs to government sector lobbying associations.
- Information on how to make a public records request is not provided on the site.
The County's budget process involves the creation of goals and objectives by June 15th. Budget request forms are sent out by July 1st. In non-election years, the budget is signed before January 10. In election years, it is signed by January 30th.
2011 budget highlights include:
|Licenses & Permits||741,450|
|Fees & Charges||3,458,600|
|Other Jurisdiction Revenue||2,088,129|
|Interest, Transfers & Loan Products||22,384,636|
|Salaries and Benefits||38,201,652|
|Capital and Equipment||31,408,283|
|End of Year Balance||25,768,342|
The Greene County Commission is the executive body of Greene County operating under guidelines established in the Revised Statutes of the State of Missouri. Within that authority the Commission enacts ordinances, resolutions and policies, supervises the activities of county departments, fixes salaries, adopts the annual budget, provides for construction and other services, and conducts hearings on planning and zoning matters.
|Scott Payne||Collector of Revenue|
|Richard Struckhoff||County Clerk|
|Jim Viebrock||Presiding Commissioner|
|Harold Bengsch||Commissioner 1st District|
|Roseann Bentley||Commissioner 2nd District|
|Dan Patterson||Prosecuting Attorney|
|David Yancey||Public Administrator|
|Cheryl Dawson||Recorder of Deeds|
|Stephen Helms||Circuit Court|
A list of departments can be found here.
The 2012 budget contained no salary adjustments, but anticipated a 10% increase in healthcare costs and 1% increase in retirement benefits.
Employees participate in the Missouri Local Government Employees Retirement System as well as the Missouri County Employees Retirement Fund. MOLAGERS is a defined benefit retirement plan. It currently has 33,000 active members and 16,000 retirees.
In 2008, Greene County reported $120,000 spent on lobbying.
Transparency & public records
The county tax collector collects a real estate and personal property tax. Real estate levies by district can be found here. The personal property tax is based on the valuation of all non real estate property. It consists of motor vehicles, trailers, watercraft, aircraft, livestock, farm machinery, and more.
- Official Greene County Website
- Greene County Assessor
- Greene County on E-Reference
- Greene County Circuit Clerk
- Greene County Health Department