was a Democratic candidate
for District 13
of the Alabama State Senate
. The primary election
was on June 1, 2010 and the general election was on November 2
Varner earned his degree from Georgia Tech, studying economics, international policy, and city planning. He then received his aw degree from Regent University School of Law in Virginia.
Varner opened a law firm in Ashland in 2000 and has worked in that position since. He and his wife, Kelly, have three daughters.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
Varner defeated opponent Russell Emrick in the June 1 primary. He was defeated by Gerald Dial in the general election.
| Alabama State Senate, District 13 General election (2010)
| Gerald Dial (R)
| Greg Varner (D)
| Alabama State Senate, District 13 Democratic Primary (2010)
| Greg Varner (D)
| Russell Emrick (D)
Varners website lists the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Small businesses and their success must become our focus in order to create more skilled job opportunities."
- A Pro-Life, Pro-Family Democrat
- Excerpt: "I am committed to the causes dear to many of you: protection of the unborn, preservation of traditional marriage, the safeguarding of religious liberty, and conservation of the Second Amendment. "
- Excerpt: "Our responsibility to future generations has been sacrificed and we all sense a disconnection between what we believe and the policies that rule our lives... I feel within my heart a burning desire to make that difference, to be the voice of reason, to fight for the ideals that made this country great."
- Excerpt: "If we lose our ability to feed ourselves, we will not only become held hostage by global food prices, but we also become entangled in foreign government interests and agendas."
- Excerpt: "A stable, healthy family represents the best way to grow a country and maintain a prosperous economy."
- Rebuild Wealth of Working People
- Excerpt: "I believe we can create an environment where the entrepreneurial spirit of the poor, working, and middle classes can thrive. I believe we must provide everyone an opportunity to prosper, not just those “too big to fail.”"
- Demand World Class Schools
- Excerpt: "Our children are our future; we must invest in their foundation and build a legacy for our grandchildren. This is our duty as parents and grandparents."