|Vermont Senate Addison District|
|2005 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Vermont House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Saint Michael's College|
|Place of birth||Bridport, VT|
|Profession||Small Business Owner/Farmer|
Giard is a small business owner and dairy farmer.
Giard earned his Bachelor's from Saint Michael's College.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Giard served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Giard served on these committees:
- See also: Vermont State Senate elections, 2012
Giard did not seek re-election in 2012.
- See also: Vermont State Senate elections, 2010
Giard defeated Andrea Ochs (R), Mark Young (R), and Robert Wagner (I) in the general election on November 2, 2010.Giard ran for re-election to the 1st District Seat (Addison District) in 2010. He ran against Claire Ayer (D) in the primary election on August 24, 2010.
|Vermont State Senate, Addison District, General Election (2010)|
|Claire Ayer (D)||9,520|
|Harold Giard (D)||7,369|
|Andrea Ochs (R)||4,252|
|Mark Young (R)||6,991|
|Robert Wagner (I)||1,128|
On November 4, 2008, Giard won re-election by finishing second for the two-seat Addison District of the Vermont State Senate, receiving 13,955 votes behind Democrat Claire Ayer (15,960) and ahead of write-ins (337).
Giard's opponent Ayer raised $6,012 for her campaign.
|Vermont State Senate, Addison District|
|Claire Ayer (D)||15,960|
|Harold Giard (D)||13,955|
In 2010, Giard received $7,286 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Vermont State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Harold Giard's campaign in 2010|
|Addison County Democratic Party Cmte||$2,000|
|Contributions By Candidate Or Immediate Family||$1,120|
|Vermont Fund For Families||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$7,286|
According to Follow the Money, Giard raised no funds for the 2008 election.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Harold + Giard + Vermont + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
The Ethan Allen Institute, a Vermont-based free-market public policy research and education organization, released its biennial publication, the Vermont Voters' Report Card, for the years 2011-2012. The report showed how Vermont legislators in the state House and state Senate voted on key issues important to the Institute. Here's how Giard voted on the selected bills:
|Vermont Voters Scorecard, 2011-2012|
|National Popular Vote||Green Mountain Care||Green Mountain Care||Green Mountain Care||Tax Bill||Free Speech||Health Exchange||CVPS Rebate||Cloud Computing|
Giard and his wife Shirley have one child.
- Biography from the Vermont Secretary of State website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Sen. Giard on State Surge
- List of Vermont Senators
- General Election 2010 Official Results
- Vermont State Senate official 2008 election results
- Follow the Money's report on Giard's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Campaign contributions to Harold Giard
- Ethan Allen Institute, "Report Cards," accessed September 10, 2013