Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Arizona, District 5|
|January 3, 2007 – January 3, 2011|
|Date of birth||July 18, 1940|
|Place of birth||Phoenix, Arizona|
Frequency of Voting with Democratic Leadership
According to a July 2010 analysis of 1,357 votes cast from January 1, 2009 to June 16, 2010, Mitchell has voted with the House Democratic leadership 79.9% of the time. That same analysis reported that he also voted with party leadership 79.6% of the time in 2010.
Washington Post Analysis
A separate analysis from The Washington Post from July 23, 2010, concluded that he votes 80.2% of the time with a majority of Democrats in the House of Representatives.
Mitchell also voted for the stimulus bill. Fifty-seven percent of U.S. voters believed that the stimulus had either hurt the economy (36 percent) or had no impact (21 percent). Thirty-eight percent believed the stimulus helped the economy.
Additionally, Mitchell voted for the "Cash for Clunkers" bill. According to a June 2009 Rasmussen Reports poll, 54 percent of likely U.S. voters opposed Cash for Clunkers, while 35 percent supported it.
Finally, Mitchell also voted for the health care reform bill. Fifty-seven percent of likely voters at least somewhat favored repeal of the health care reform bill, including 46 percent who strongly favored repeal. Thirty-five percent of likely voters opposed repeal. Fifty-one percent of likely voters believed the health care reform bill would be bad for the country, while 36 percent believed it would be beneficial.
- A Line of Sight, July 2010
- The Washington Post analysis
- U.S. House Clerk, "Roll Call 681," October 3, 2008
- Gallup, "Among Recent Bills, Financial Reform a Lone Plus for Congress," September 13, 2010
- US House Clerk, "Roll Call 46," January 28, 2009
- Rasmussen, "38% Say Stimulus Plan Helped Economy, 36% Say It Hurt," August 24, 2010
- US House Clerk, "Roll Call 314," June 9, 2009
- Rasmussen, "54% Oppose “Cash for Clunkers” Plan To Spur Purchase of Greener Cars," June 23, 2009
- US House Clerk, "Roll Call 165," March 21, 2010
- Rasmussen, "61% Favor Repeal of Healthcare Law," September 20, 2010