For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Texas House of Representatives, District 24|
|Profession||Small business owner|
Since her separation from military service, Heidi Thiess has been a small business owner and investor. She has remained active in veteran’s advocacy and politics, with a focus on sovereignty and national security issues. Her proclivity for conservative activism has been diversified across many venues: she became a well-known military blogger and conservative essayist in 2005. She co-founded the website www.GuardtheBorders.com and was a founding cadre member of the national veterans’ group, the Gathering of Eagles in 2007. In 2008, she was a grassroots director for Duncan Hunter’s presidential campaign. More recently, she co-founded www.StandWithIntelligence.com in 2009 and served as the Senior Editor, Publisher, and Webmaster of the website.
In 2010, she worked full time for the Pantano For Congress campaign as a policy advisor and the E-Campaign Director. She also served as a Republican precinct chair and State Convention delegate and still presently serves on the executive board of the Clear Lake Tea Party. During the 82nd legislative session, Heidi trained and led groups of citizens to Austin every week to monitor the bills and lobby representatives for Conservative cause. Currently, she owns a small firearms business, specializing in gun sales to women for self and home defense.
Thiess enlisted in the US Army as a 17-year old freshman in college and served simultaneously in the US Reserves and ROTC until her graduation and commissioning. She graduated with a B.A. degree in International Affairs, a Specialty in Soviet Politics, and a Minor in Military Science. As a 2LT, she earned her jump wings at Airborne School before serving the remainder of her active duty service overseas.
Thiess's campaign website listed the following issues:
- TWIA is Broke And Must Be Completely Reformed
- Excerpt: "TWIA provides windstorm and hail coverage in 14 coastal counties and a few other areas. It was originally intended to provide windstorm insurance coverage only to those who could not purchase insurance - supposedly as the “insurer of last resort.”"
- Parental Rights Are God-Given And Must Be Protected
- Excerpt: "I believe that the liberty of parents to direct the upbringing and education of their children is a fundamental right, not to be abridged by government interference, national or international. "
- Abortion is Anti-Women
- Excerpt: "Life is endowed by our Creator, and is an inalienable right not to be infringed. Circumstances do not alter the fundamental principle of a right to life, nor should legislation ever be written to accommodate the smallest/most rare minority (eg: the less than 1% of abortions due to rape/incest)."
- Our Property Tax System is Beyond Repair
- Excerpt: "Texas’ property tax burden is ranked the 14th highest in the nation, and it weighs heavily on homeowners and businesses. My husband and I scrimped and saved for years, living well below our means so that we could pay off our mortgage and become entirely debt-free."
|Texas House of Representatives District 24 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Greg Bonnen (advanced to runoff)||45.1%||6,951|
|Ryan Sitton (advanced to runoff)||32.6%||5,035|
Theiss and her husband, Andrew, have two children; Jonathan and Eden.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Heidi + Thiess + Texas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |