Hermiston City Council recall, Hermiston, Oregon (2012)
A vote about whether to recall Bob Severson, Rod Hardin, Jackie Myers, Joe Harn and Frank Harkenrider from their elected positions in Hermiston, Oregon in Umatilla County took place on June 5th, 2012. All five officials were retained in office. The recall effort was launched in January 2012. Severson serves as mayor of Hermiston, while Hardin, Myers, Harn, and Harkenrider are all members of the city council. Severson, Hardin, and Harn are all serving terms that expire in December 2012. Myers and Harkenrider are serving terms set to expire in 2014.
The Hermiston Governmental Reform Committee organized the recall effort. They began exploring the possibility of recall in November 2011 when recall supporter Cindy Littlefield said, "there are many concerned citizens in Hermiston, who come from a wide variety of occupations and backgrounds, including business persons and other professionals, who have become outraged at the dishonesty, lack of accountability, lack of transparency, ‘cronyism’ and incompetence of the Hermiston City Council. These citizens have consulted with legal counsel and with enough public support, are ready to move forward.”
Path to the ballot
Recall organizers needed to collect 508 signatures for each recall target in order to force a recall election.
On April 18th, recall organizers submitted petitions against each of the five targeted officials. Recall organizers said each petition had approximately 700 signatures.
In late April, it was determined that there were sufficient signatures on all five recall petitions. A recall election took place on June 5th, 2012. Ballots were mailed on May 18th, and Hermiston residents wishing to vote in the election needed to register to vote by May 15. All five officials survived the recall effort.
- OPB News, "Severson, Councilors To Ride Out Recall Election In Hermiston," May 2, 2012
- KAPP TV, "Hermiston Recall Nets Zero Changes," June 6, 2012
- Hermiston Herald, "Recall petitions filed: Severson, four councilors named," January 11, 2012
- OPB News, "Hermiston citizens group talks City Hall recall," November 11, 2011
- OPB News, "Hermiston Group To Go Public, Talk Recall At Dec. 1 Meeting," November 18, 2011
- OPB News, "Completed Recall Petitions Filed For Severson, Four Hermiston Council Members," April 19, 2011
- Hermiston Herald, "Woelk: Reactions to recall could be intriguing," April 28, 2011