The Transportation Committee (formerly, the Highways and Transportation Committee) was a standing committee of the Ohio State Senate. In 2015, this committee was combined with the Commerce and Labor Committee to form the Transportation, Commerce and Labor Committee.
Per the Senate Rules, committees of the Ohio State Senate are appointed by the President of the Senate. The rules do not give a specific date to which committees are assigned but committee appointments occur after the organization of the Senate. The President shall appoint a chair and vice-chair of each standing committee as well as a ranking minority member. The Minority Leader can recommend minority membership and a ranking minority member for each committee. The President can be substituted as a voting member on any standing committee. The Minority Leader shall be an ex-officio nonvoting member of each committee, and at the Minority Leader's request, the President can substitute for the Minority Leader as a voting member on any committee.
A majority of members in a committee is considered quorum.
See rules: Rules of the Senate
||The Senate Transportation Committee creates and revises legislation regarding transportation issues facing Ohioans, as well as policies pertaining to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, the State Highway Patrol, and the Ohio Turnpike Commission. The committee is responsible for balancing the state's biennial transportation budget, which must be enacted by April 1st of every odd year. In addition, the committee makes recommendations to the full Senate for the advice and consent of governor's appointments to the Turnpike Oversight Commission, the registrar for the BMV, the superintendent of the State Highway Patrol, and the director of the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ohio General Assembly, "Rules of the Senate," accessed January 29, 2014(Rule 19)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ohio General Assembly, "Rules of the Senate," accessed January 29, 2014(Rule 20)
- ↑ Ohio General Assembly, "Rules of the Senate," accessed January 29, 2014(Rule 23)
- ↑ Ohio State Senate, "About the Committee," accessed January 29, 2014
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.