Idaho's 1st Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
May 15, 2012
- 1 Candidates
- 2 Election results
- 3 Race background
- 4 Impact of redistricting
- 5 District history
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Idaho has a closed primary system, in which the selection of a party's candidates in an election is limited to registered party members.
Voter registration: Voters had to register to vote in the primary by April 20. For the general election, the voter registration deadline was October 12. Voters could have also registered at the polls on election day, provided they brought an acceptable form of proof of residency.
- See also: Idaho elections, 2012
Incumbent: Heading into the election the incumbent was Raul Labrador (R), who was first elected in 2010. He was re-elected on November 6, 2012.
This was the first election using new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Idaho's 1st Congressional District encompassed the western and northern parts of the state and included the western third of the state capital, Boise, and most of its suburbs, including Nampa, Caldwell, and Meridian. It also includes Lewiston, Moscow, and Coeur d'Alene.
General election candidates
May 15, 2012, primary results
|U.S. House, Idaho District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Raul R. Labrador Incumbent||63%||199,402|
|Source: Idaho Secretary of State "November 6, 2012 General Election Results"|
|U.S. House, Idaho District 1 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|U.S. House, Idaho District 1 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Raul Labrador Incumbent||80.6%||58,003|
Mental health evaluation
On March 16, 2012, Cynthia Clinkingbeard allegedly went into a Boise area Staples office supply store, allegedly made threatening remarks to an employee, and pulled out a handgun. After leaving the store, Clinkingbeard and two adults in a vehicle were later stopped by police. In a hearing, Magistrate Kevin Swain ordered that a court-appointed evaluator conduct a mental health evaluation on Clinkingbeard. The evaluation was scheduled for May 4, 2012. On May 7, 2012, the evaluation was rescheduled for June 5, after the May 15th primary.
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Idaho
FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012 study
- See also: FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012
In 2012, FairVote did a study on partisanship in the congressional districts, giving each a percentage ranking (D/R) based on the new 2012 maps and comparing that to the old 2010 maps. Idaho's 1st District became more Republican because of redistricting.
- 2012: 32D / 68R
- 2010: 33D / 67R
Cook Political Report's PVI
In 2012, Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Idaho's 1st Congressional District has a PVI of R+18, which is the 26th most Republican district in the country. In 2008, this district was won by John McCain (R), 64-36 percent over Barack Obama (D). In 2004, George W. Bush (R) won the district 70-30 percent over John Kerry (D).
|Candidate ballot accecss|
|Find detailed information on ballot access requirements in all 50 states and Washington D.C.|
|U.S. House, Idaho District 1 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Raul R. Labrador||51.3%||126,231|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Idaho, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- Politico, "2012 Election Map, Idaho"
- IdahoVotes.gov, "2012 Deadlines," accessed July 21, 2012
- IdahoVotes.gov, "Voter Registration FAQ," accessed July 21, 2012
- Roll Call "Ex-NFL Player to Challenge Labrador in Idaho" accessed December 5, 2011
- KBOI "Idaho Election Primary Voting Results" accessed May 22, 2012
- Idaho Secretary of State "Candidate List" accessed March 2, 2012
- Boise Weekly.com, "Mental Evaluation Ordered for Congressional Candidate Cynthia Clinkingbeard" accessed April 30, 2012
- KIVI TV "Cynthia Clinkingbeard gears campaign back up after arrest" accessed April 30, 2012
- Idaho Statesman, "Mental Competency Hearing for Idaho Congressional Candidate Clinkingbeard" accessed May 10, 2012.
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Idaho," September 2012
- Cook Political Report, "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" accessed October 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010," accessed March 28, 2013