Idaho Public School Permanent Endowment Fund, HJR 6 (1998)
The Idaho Public School Permanent Endowment Fund Amendment, also known as House Joint Resolution 6, was on the November 3, 1998 ballot in Idaho as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved. The measure changed the name of the Public School Fund to the Public School Permanent Endowment Fund. The measure also provided that the fund include proceeds from the sale of school lands and amounts from the Public School Earnings Reserve Fund.
|Idaho HJR 6 (1998)|
|Overturned Case:Idaho Watershed Project v. State Board of Land Commissioners 133 Id.55, 982 P.2d 358 (1999)|
Election results via: Idaho Secretary of State
- The amendment was initially approved, but was declared unconstitutional by the state Supreme Court in the case Idaho Watershed Project v. State Board of Land Commissioners, 133 Id.55, 982 P.2d 358 (1999).
Text of measure
The question appeared on the ballot as:
|“||"Shall Section 4, Article IX, and Section 8, Article IX, of the Constitution of the State of Idaho be amended as follows:
1. To change the name of the Public School Fund to the Public School Permanent Endowment Fund; 2. To provide that the Public School Permanent Endowment Fund shall include proceeds from the sale of school lands and amounts allocated from the Public School Earnings Reserve Fund; 3. To provide an exception that proceeds from the sale of school lands may be deposited into a Land Bank Fund to be used to acquire other lands within the state for the benefit of endowment beneficiaries, but if those proceeds are not used to acquire other lands within a time provided by the legislature the proceeds of the sale shall be deposited into the Public School Permanent Endowment Fund along with earnings on the proceeds; and 4. To change the word disposal to sale in reference to the disposition of certain lands?".
- Idaho 1998 ballot measures
- 1998 ballot measures
- List of Idaho ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Idaho
- Idaho Secretary of State Elections Division, "Idaho Constitutional Amendment History," accessed April 28, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "1998 General Election Proposed Constitutional Amendment," accessed April 28, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Idaho
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Lands | Director of Labor | Public Utilities Commission |
|historical ballot measure article requires the text of the measure to be added to the page.|