Idaho Public Utilities Commission
|Idaho Public Utilities Commission|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||6 years|
|Authority:||Idaho Statutes, 61-201|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current commissioners are Paul Kjellander (appointed March 2011), Marsha Smith (first appointed 1991, most recently re-appointed 2009) and Mack Redford, (appointed 2007, re-appointed February 2013).
The public service commission is established by state law.
Idaho Statutes, 61-201
There is hereby created a state commission to be known and designated as the Idaho public utilities commission.
Members of the commission are required to be qualified electors in Idaho, i.e. at least 18 years old and residents of the state. Additionally, no commissioner may have any financial interest in any company he regulates, nor take part in electoral politics. Further, no more than 2 members of the commission may be of the same party.
There are no term limits for public service commissioners.
The public service commission is responsible for regulating the state's electric, gas, water and telecommunications companies, except for publicly owned, municipal and cooperative organizations. The commission sets rates and makes rules governing business practices; it exercises a quasi-judicial authority as part of this process by conducting hearings and issuing orders similar to those made by a court. The commission also has an executive function, in that it enforces its own regulations and other state laws regarding public utilities.
- Consumer Assistance
- Pipeline Safety
- See also: Idaho state budget and finances
The budget for the Public Utilities Commission in Fiscal Year 2013 was $5,255,900
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Idaho Public Utilities Commission has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + Public + Utilities + Commission
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720
Phone: (208) 334-0300
- Idaho Public Utilities Commission, "2010 Annual Report -- Introduction," accessed October 4, 2011 (dead link)
- Idaho Public Utilities Commission, "Commissioners," accessed June 12, 2013
- Idaho Statutes, "61-201," accessed October 4, 2011
- Idaho Statutes, "61-207," accessed October 4, 2011
- Budget Publications “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 5.37," accessed June20, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed November 14, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014