Idaho Secretary of State
|Idaho Secretary of State|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$2,308,300|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Next election:||November 6, 2018|
|Last election:||November 4, 2014|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current secretary of state is Ben Ysursa, a Republican, who was first elected on November 5, 2002, and re-elected in 2006 and 2010. Ysursa declined to run for re-election to a possible fourth term in November 2014.
Before becoming secretary of state, Ysursa was Idaho's chief deputy secretary of state from 1976 to 2002. He was a deputy secretary of state from 1974 to 1976. Ysursa holds a bachelor's degree from Gonzaga University and a J.D. from St. Louis University Law School. He and his wife, Penny, have three children.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that authorizes the creation of a state executive office. That information for the Idaho Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
- at least 25 old
- a United States citizen
- a resident of Idaho at least two years prior to the election
No person shall be eligible ... to the office of secretary of state, state controller, or state treasurer, unless he shall have attained the age of twenty-five years; ... In addition to the qualifications above described each of the officers named shall be a citizen of the United States and shall have resided within the state or territory two years next preceding his election.
Idaho elects secretaries of state to four year terms in federal midterm election years, that is, even years that are not presidential election years. Thus, 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018 are all election years. Winners take office on the first Monday in the January following an election. Thus, January 3, 2011, and January 5, 2015, are inaugural days.
If two candidates ever tie in the general election, a joint session of the legislature chooses the winner by a majority vote.
- See also: Idaho secretary of state election, 2014
|Secretary of State of Idaho, 2014|
|Democratic||Holli High Woodings||43.8%||188,353|
|Election Results via Idaho Secretary of State.|
- See also: States with gubernatorial term limits
Per Article IV, Section 6 of the Idaho Constitution, the governor appoints a replacement to any state office where a vacancy occurs, subject to the approval of the Idaho Senate. The appointee serves until the next general election.
The secretary of state's responsibilities include:
- Registering business entities
- Administering the state's application of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Running Idaho's elections
- Licensing notaries public
- Registering trademarks
- Operating the state's health care and will registries
- Publishing various state documents, including state law
- Legislative Affairs
- Business Entities
- Liens - UCC
- Notar, Apostilles and Authentications
The budget for the Office of the Secretary of State in Fiscal Year 2013 was $2,308,300.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
The secretary's salary is determined by law.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Idaho Secretary of State has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + "Secretary of State"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Office of the Secretary of State
Post Office Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0080
Phone: (208) 334-2300
Fax: (208) 334-2282
- Governor: Butch Otter (R)
- Lieutenant Governor: Brad Little (R)
- Attorney General: Lawrence Wasden (R)
- Secretary of State: Ben Ysursa (R)
- Director of Agriculture: Celia Gould
- Treasurer of State: Ron G. Crane (R)
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Bio of Ben Ysursa," accessed September 28, 2011
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Home," accessed September 28, 2011
- Budget Publications, “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 6.69, accessed June 20, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed November 14, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014