Idaho Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Idaho Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$46,389,900|
|Length of term:||4|
|Authority:||Idaho Constitution, Article IV, Section 1|
|Assumed office:||January 5, 2015|
|Next election:||November 6, 2018|
|Last election:||November 4, 2014|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current superintendent is Republican Sherri Ybarra. Ybarra was first elected on November 4, 2014, and was sworn in the following January. She succeeded Tom Luna (R), who declined to run for re-election in 2014 after two terms in office.
The office of superintendent is established by the Idaho Constitution.
The executive department shall consist of a governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, state controller, state treasurer, attorney general and superintendent of public instruction, each of whom shall hold his office for four years
There are no particular qualifications for the office of superintendent, though the officeholder must take an oath of office and is subject to a surety bond dependent on his good conduct. The bond's premiums are paid by the state treasury. In the case of misconduct, the bond is forfeited to the state.
Idaho elects superintendents to four-year terms in federal midterm election years, that is, even years that are not presidential election years. Thus, 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2018 are all election years. Winners take office on the first Monday in the January following an election. Thus, January 3, 2011, and January 5, 2015, are inaugural days.
If two candidates ever tie in the general election, a joint session of the legislature chooses the winner by a majority vote.
|Superintendent of Idaho, 2014|
|Election Results Idaho Secretary of State.|
- See also: States with gubernatorial term limits
Per Article IV, Section 6 of the Idaho Constitution, the governor appoints a replacement to any state office where a vacancy occurs, subject to the approval of the Idaho Senate. The appointee serves until the next general election.
The superintendent is the administrative head of the Idaho Department of Education, which operates the state's public school system. He is also responsible for implementing the policies of the state Board of Education.
- Content, Innovation and Choice
- School Support Services
- Finance, Child Nutrition and Student Transportation
- Student Achievement and School Improvement
- Communications and Government Affairs
- See also: Idaho state budget and finances
The budget for the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction in Fiscal Year 2013 was $46,389,900.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
The salaries of elected executives in Idaho are determined by the Idaho State Legislature. Salaries cannot be increased or decreased during the current terms of affected officers. In 2014, state legislators passed a bill authorizing annual salaries for executives from 2015 through 2018.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Idaho Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "Idaho Superintendent Public Instruction."
- Some of the stories below may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
- Idaho state executive offices
- Idaho state executive officials
- Idaho school districts
- Idaho State Department of Education
- Public education in Idaho
- Idaho Secretary of State, "November 4, 2014, General Election Results," accessed January 5, 2015
- The Spokesman-Review, "Idaho schools chief Tom Luna won't seek re-election," January 28, 2014
- Idaho Statutes, "67-1501," accessed September 29, 2011
- Idaho Department of Education, "Divisions," accessed September 29, 2011
- Budget Publications, “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 1.57," accessed June20, 2013
- Idaho State Legislature, "Title 59: Public Officers in General," accessed February 24, 2015
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed November 14, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014
State of Idaho
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Lands | Director of Labor | Public Utilities Commission |