Iowa Department of Education
|Iowa Department of Education|
|FY 2014 Budget:||$2.84 billion|
|Website:||Department Home Page|
List of school districts in Iowa
Public education in Iowa
School board elections portal
|“||The Iowa Department of Education (DE) works with the Iowa State Board of Education (State Board) to provide support, supervision, and oversight for the state education system that includes public elementary and secondary schools, nonpublic schools that receive state accreditation, area education agencies (AEAs), community colleges, and teacher preparation programs.||”|
- Administrative Assistant: Deborah Darge
- Administrative Secretary: Kathy Petosa
- Attorney: Nicole Proesch
The Department of Education has four divisions managed by administrators listed below:
- Division of Community Colleges: Jeremy Varner
- Division of School Finance and Support Services: Jeff Berger
- Division of Policies and Communication: Ryan Wise
- Division of Learning and Results: David Tilly
State Board of Education
The State Board of Education is composed of ten members that are appointed by the Governor with the consent of the State Senate. Nine are voting members that serve six-year terms and one is a student member who serves a one-year term. The responsibilities of the board include establishing policies for the efficient and effective operation of education in Iowa; adopting rules for the enforcement of school laws; striving for higher levels of learning and achievement for all students; adopting long-range plans for the education system; recommending changes in school laws to the General Assembly; adopting rules for accrediting public and nonpublic schools; hearing appeals of local school board decisions; collaborating with other educational and non-educational bodies and organizations; approving the budgets of the community colleges and the area education agencies; and, approving educator preparation programs. In Iowa, the State Board of Education is also the State Board for Vocational Education and Vocational Rehabilitation.
The following chart outlines the organizational structure of the Iowa Department of Education:
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Iowa + Department + Education "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa State Legislature, "SUMMARY OF FY2013 BUDGET AND DEPARTMENT REQUESTS," accessed January 20, 2014
- Iowa Department of Education, "About," accessed January 20, 2014
- Iowa Department of Education, "Certified Enrollment Data," accessed January 22, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Iowa Department of Education, "Web Directory," accessed January 20, 2014
- Iowa Department of Education, "About the Iowa State Board of Education," accessed February 20, 2014
- Iowa Department of Education, "Organizational Chart," accessed January 20, 2014 (dead link)
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Department of Education | Iowa school districts |