|Florida State Senate District 17|
|November 16, 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|First elected||November 2002|
|Term limits||2 terms (8 years)|
|Florida House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||University of Florida (1981)|
|Birthday||July 16, 1959|
Alexander served in the Florida State House of Representatives from 1998 to 2002. From 2004 to 2006 he served as Senate Majority Whip.
Alexander is a Citrus Grower.
Alexander earned his BS in Agriculture from the University of Florida in 1981.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Alexander was appointed to these committees:
- Budget Chair
- Rules Vice Chair
- Banking and Insurance
- Budget Subcommittee on Finance and Tax
- Budget Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development Appropriations
- Education Pre-K - 12
- Rules Subcommittee on Ethics and Elections
- Joint Legislative Budget Vice Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Alexander served on these committees:
- Banking and Insurance Committee, Florida State Senate
- Ethics and Elections Committee, Florida State Senate
- Rules Committee, Florida State Senate
On November 4, 2008, Alexander won re-election to the 17th District Seat in the Florida State Senate, defeating Scott K. Thompson (D). Alexander raised $694,763 for his campaign, while Thompson raised $68,098.
|Florida State Senate, District 17 (2008)|
|J.D. Alexander (R)||103,812||59.2%|
|Scott. K. Thompson (D)||71,621||40.8%|
Alexander raised $0 in campaign contributions in 2010, a year in which he was not up for election.
In 2008, Alexander collected $694,763 in campaign contributions. The five largest contributors to his campaign were as follows:
|Florida Republican Party||$209,452|
|Florida Home Builders Association||$3,000|
|Anesthesiology Leadership Council||$2,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term J.D. + Alexander + Florida + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Jackson: Scott's muddled message - Northwest News and Tribune
- NYT: Global warming halted because? we're lucky - Daily Caller
- After three-year 'unprecedented crisis,' Rick Scott signs bill pulling court ... - Florida Times-Union
- A leather mask-wearing pro wrestler just might be the next Republican senator ... - Daily Caller
- Kindergartener gets detention, forced to apologize for Lego gun the size of a ... - Daily Caller
- Mark Steyn: Michele Bachmann 'could have been America's Mrs. Thatcher ... - Daily Caller
- Washington launches four different investigations into IRS scandal - Daily Caller
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Alexander and his wife, Cindy Monroe, have two children.
- Official Florida State Senate website of Senator J. D. Alexander
- J.D. Alexander for Senate
- Project Vote Smart J.D. Alexander candidate summary
- Project Vote Smart J.D. Alexander biography
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
|Florida Senate, District 17
| Succeeded by|
John Legg (R)