|U.S. House, Florida, District 1|
|Bachelor's||Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1965-1985|
|Place of birth||Paxton, FL|
James Bryan was a 2012 Democratic candidate who sought election to the U.S. House representing the 1st Congressional District of Florida. Bryan ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012. He was defeated in the general election by incumbent Jeff Miller.
Bryan's campaign website listed the following issues:
- The Economy
- Excerpt: "America is in the midst of an economic crisis. Although new jobs have been created, the jobless rate still remains high and too many of these “new” jobs are low paid, part-time positions in the service sector. Meanwhile corporations are steadily outsourcing jobs and thus continue to erode an already weak job market."
- Excerpt: "America has to put a high priority on education, from pre-K through post-PhD. We are more and more rapidly becoming unable to compete with other nations—especially China—in the areas of science and technology. Our high school dropout rate is unacceptably high for all students, but especially for African American and Latino students. Of students who do graduate with a diploma, far too few have the skills they, and America, need in the core areas of reading, writing, and mathematics."
- Excerpt: " The handwriting on the wall was clear when we had gas station lines in 1973. Now, with gas prices that fluctuate anywhere from over three to more than four dollars a gallon, "alternative energy sources" have become politically fashionable. I am among the many who now advocate the development of alternatives. However, any choice we make requires foresight, discipline, and perhaps even sacrifice. "
- The Environment
- Excerpt: " The environmental topic at the top of the news today is climate change, or global warming. The scientific and economic issues are complex. It is clear, however, that Earth's glaciers, ice caps and polar sea ice are rapidly melting. I believe the scientists who attribute this to greenhouse gases are correct and that the time for action is now. I will therefore vote for legislation to reduce emissions and work to make existing legislation effective."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "We all know that medical costs are going up just as peoples’ ability to pay is going down. With the historic passage of the Affordable Health Care Act and the Supreme Court's decision to uphold it, we are for the first time in our history in a position to guarantee health care to all citizens and to rein in the spiraling costs of that care. However, the fight for health care is not over."
Bryan ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Florida's 1st District. Bryan won the nomination on the Democratic ticket. Candidates wishing to run were required to file by the signature filing deadline of June 8, 2012. The primary elections were held on August 14, 2012. He was defeated in the general election on November 6 by incumbent Jeff Miller.
|U.S. House, Florida, District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jeff Miller Incumbent||69.6%||238,440|
|Write-In||William Drummond II||0%||17|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
No campaign finance information is available.
Bryan and his wife, Rhonda, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "James + Bryan + Florida + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michael Sherman Leaves Trail Of Coins To Robbery Scene, Gets Arrested - Huffington Post
- Sam Lembo raced pigeons, produced songs, rubbed elbows with the famous - Tampabay.com
- Weekend: Your guide to entertainment in Northeast Pennsylvania - Scranton Times-Tribune
- Your Students, Your Schools -- West Des Moines and Waukee - DesMoinesRegister.com
- Michael Maxwell, Suspected Robber, Takes Mugshot After Victims Beat, Tasered ... - Huffington Post
- Some angry over county trash changes - Tallahassee Democrat (blog)
- Jacksonville killer avoids death sentence for 2009 murder - Florida Times-Union
- Ted Vick, South Carolina Democrat, Arrested On DUI Charge For Second Time ... - Huffington Post
- CONCERTS LISTINGS: May 17 to 23, 2013 - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader
- Arts and entertainment event calendar - Richmond Times Dispatch
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |
Sunshine Law | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of School Districts |