Snyder is a sales manager for E.J. Welch Company, a floor covering distributor. He and his wife, Treanna, have a daughter who graduated from a district school. Snyder earned a Bachelor's degree in marketing from Western Illinois University.
Snyder placed second among five candidates and won a seat on the board in the general election on September 10, 2013.
|Davenport Community School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Richard Clewell Incumbent||21.7%||1,274|
|Nonpartisan||Patt Zamora Incumbent||18.9%||1,109|
|Source: Scott County, Iowa, "Election Summary Report," September 13, 2013|
Snyder received $904.02 in campaign contributions with a total of $904.02 remaining on hand as of September 5, 2013.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
Snyder received the endorsement of the Davenport Education Association ahead of the September 10, 2013 general election.
“I don’t want to see personnel cut of any kind, whether it be teachers or support staff, I just don’t want to see people cut at all while we’re trying to balance our checkbook.”
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the board were up for election on September 10, 2013. The board continues to deal with declining enrollment figures across the district as well as poor performances according to state and federal assessment programs. Davenport Community School District has experienced a 5.2% decline in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The district was identified as a District in Need of Assistance and 20 schools qualified as Schools in Need of Assistance according to the 2012 State Report Card.
About the district
Davenport outperforms the rest of Iowa in terms of higher education achievement though lags behind on median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 25.9% of Davenport residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.9% rate for the entire state. Davenport had a median income of $42,983 in 2010 compared to $50,451 for Iowa. The poverty rate for Davenport was 17.6% in 2010 compared to an 11.9% rate for the rest of the state.
- Iowa school districts
- Davenport Community School District, Iowa
- Davenport Community School District elections (2013)
- Quad City Times, "Jamie Snyder," accessed September 5, 2013
- Davenport Community School District, "School Board Election information," accessed September 5, 2013
- Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board, "Scott County," accessed September 11, 2013
- Quad City Times, "Bettendorf, Davenport teachers endorse school board candidates," accessed September 5, 2013
- Quad City Times, "Five running for Davenport school board," accessed September 5, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, "Certified Enrollment," accessed July 29, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, "Education Statistics," accessed July 29, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Davenport," accessed July 29, 2013
- Scott County Auditor, "Election Results," accessed July 29, 2013