|Florida House of Representatives District 51|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
|Profession||Dir of Advancement/Asst to the President, Clearwater Central Catholic High School|
Long currently works as Director of Advancement/Assistant to the President at Clearwater Central Catholic High School. She has previously worked as a Deputy in the Florida Department of Insurance, and as a legislative aide.
She is a member of the Advanced Institute of Municipal Elected Officials, Florida League of Cities, Institute of Municipal Elected Officials, Leadership Florida, National League of Cities, and Suncoast League of Municipalities.
Long did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
- Economic Development & Community Affairs Policy Council
- Insurance, Business & Financial Affairs Policy Committee
- Military & Local Affairs Policy Committee (Ranking Minority Member)
Long's sponsored legislation included:
- HB 591 - "Campaign Financing: Prohibits local government from spending, & persons or groups from accepting, public funds for political advertisements or electioneering communications concerning an issue, referendum, or amendment that is subject to vote of electors; provides exception & clarification."
- HB 1081 - "Data Destruction: Requires all state agencies & private entities that collect personal information to adhere to specified guidelines"
- HB 1239 - "Insurance Representatives: Specifies prohibitions for public adjusters relating to soliciting professional employment; prohibits public adjusters & persons associated with public adjusters from sending unsolicited written communications under specified circumstances"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Long ran for re-election to the 51st District seat in 2010. She did not face any opposition in the August 24 primary. Larry Ahern (R) defeated Long in the general election on November 2, 2010. Victoria Torres (Tea Party) came in third.
| Florida House of Representatives, District 51 |
2010 General election results
|Larry Ahern (R)||22,706||50.32%|
|Janet Long (D)||19,922||44.15%|
|Victoria A. Torres (Tea)||2,499||5.54%|
On November 4, 2008, Long won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 51st District, defeating Christopher Peters (R). Long received 37,119 votes in the election while Peters received 26,661 votes. Long raised $221,329 for her campaign; Peters raised $2,260.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 51|
|Janet Long (D)||37,119||58.2%|
|Christopher Peters (R)||26,661||41.8%|
Below are Long's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|FL Democratic Party||$19,362|
|Hospital Corporation of America||$3,000|
|FL Hospital Assoc||$2,500|
|FL Cable Telecommunications Assoc||$2,500|
|FL Assoc of Realtors||$2,000|
- Janet Long's campaign website
- Florida House of Representatives - Rep. Janet Long
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Janet Long on Facebook
|Florida House of Representatives District 51
| Succeeded by|
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |