|Colorado State Senate, District 16|
|2011 - Present|
|January 12, 2013|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$45/day in Denver area, $183/day outside|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||8 years|
|Bachelor's||University of Colorado|
|Master's||University of Colorado, 1990|
|Place of birth||Denver, CO|
Nicholson earned her BSN from the University of Colorado in 1965. She went on to receive her MS in Community Health Nursing from the University of Colorado in 1990.
Nicholson was formerly employed by Public Heath Nursing in the following positions: county nurse from 1979 to 1993, program manager from 1993 to 1998, consultant from 1998 to 1999, and clinical instructor in 2000.
Jerry's Kids bill
Nicholson sponsored a bill in the 2011 session to give right of way throughout Colorado to police officers and firefighters who approach passing motorists for Jerry's Kids on Labor Day weekend.
Senate bill 270, approved by the Senate Local Government Committee, clarifies when and where public-safety personnel, such as firefighters, can solicit funds from motorists. Local governments would be required to approve permit applications submitted by firefighters to do their fundraising on roadways.
Nicholson contends her bill is really about public safety.
“As long as we can say when and where—this bill protects firefighters and others by law,” said Nicholson. “Because they are professionals, they are aware of the public-safety of the situation.”
The measure overrules local laws and authority in this matter.
Sen. Ellen Roberts said passage of the proposed measure would “open a Pandora’s Box.” Sen. Irene Aguilar, who is also concerned, said she would support SB270 for the time being but would seek additional input.
“I am voting yes because I came in here today saying I would but will need to talk more with (legislative staff),” said Aguilar.
Sen. Bill Cadman opposed the bill and said the measure raised a question of local control—and a constitutional one.
“(SB-270) is a total usurpation of local control. It tries to carve out an exemption from local laws, for a specific group, raising serious constitutional issues,” said Cadman. “It’s a good public service but bad public policy…the ends don’t justify the means.”
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Nicholson served on the following committees:
|Colorado Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Local Government, Chair|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Legislative Council|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Nicholson served on these committees:
|Colorado Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Legislative Council|
|• Local Government, Vice Chair|
- See also: Colorado State Senate elections, 2010
Nicholson ran uncontested in the August 10 primary. She then defeated Timothy J. Leonard (R) in the November 2 general election.
|Colorado State Senate, District 16 General election (2010)|
|Jeanne Nicholson (D)||30,882|
|Timothy J. Leonard (R)||30,224|
In 2010, Nicholson raised $127,124 in contributions. 
Her six largest contributors were:
|Colorado Association Of Realtors Small Donor Committee||$4,250|
|Service Employees International Local 105||$4,250|
|Colorado American Federation Of Labor & Congress Of Industrial Organizations Nonpartisan Small Donor||$4,250|
|Seiu Colorado Small Donor Cmte||$4,250|
|Jefferson County Education Association||$4,250|
|Colorado Education Association||$4,250|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Jeanne + Nicholson + Colorado + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Sen. Nicholson Works to Protect Colorado from Catastrophic Wildfires with a ... - FireEngineering.com
- Protect the vulnerable - Daily Camera
- Ouray: EAGLE-Net resumes progress as suspension is lifted - OurayNews.com - OurayNews.com
- Colorado Prescribed Burning Act scheduled for final reading and vote in the House - The Denver Channel
- The telecom bill that has Colorado carriers and technology firms on edge - Denver Post (blog)
- Colorado Dems adopt 'Kermit Gosnell Enabler Act' - WorldNetDaily - WND.com
- The end means long hours and late nights for the legislature - Julesburg Advocate
- The ?Keep Jobs in Colorado Act? bad for business, bad for the state? - Lexology (registration)
- Sen. Nicholson Gives Us Another Reason to Smile - Dentistry IQ
- House sends pot tax to state Senate - Cortez Journal
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Nicholson and her husband Craig have two children.
- Senate website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Jeanne Nicholson facebook page
|Colorado State Senate District 16
| Succeeded by|