|Interim U.S. Senator, New Jersey|
|June 10, 2013-Present|
|October 16, 2013|
|Predecessor||Frank Lautenberg (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next election||October 16, 2013|
|Appointed||June 6, 2013|
|Appointed by||Gov. Chris Christie (R)|
|Attorney General, New Jersey|
|January 10, 2012 - June 10, 2013|
|Bachelor's||University of Notre Dame (1987)|
|J.D.||Catholic University of America (1990)|
Chiesa grew up in Bound Brook, New Jersey. His father, a chemical plant worker, died when he was 8 years old, leaving his mother, a longtime public school teacher, with the challenge of raising Chiesa and his two younger sisters largely on her own.
After spending several years away from his home state to attend Notre Dame and Catholic University, where he received his Bachelor's in Business Administration in Accounting and J.D., respectively, Chiesa returned to New Jersey in 1991 to work for the law firm of Dughi & Hewit.. He now lives in Branchburg with his wife and two children.
It was at Dughi & Hewit that Chiesa reportedly met New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. In 2002 Chiesa joined Christie to the U.S. Attorney's Office where he led some of what have been described as high-profile public corruption cases. For example, Chiesa led a case against former New Jersey Senate President John Lynch.
- BA, University of Notre Dame (1987)
- JD, Catholic University of America (1990)
U.S. Senate (June 10, 2013 - Oct. 2013)
New Jersey Attorney General (2012-June 10, 2013)
In 2009, Chiesa led the transition team when Chris Christie (R) stepped into office as Governor of New Jersey. He was named Christie’s chief counsel in Jan. 2010, and served in this position until assuming the office ofattorney general on January 10, 2012. Since New Jersey's attorneys general serve 4 year terms concurrent with the governor, Chiesa's term was set to end in Jan. 2014. It was cut short, however, when Christie appointed him on June 6, 2013 to fill a short-term vacancy in the U.S. Senate following the death of veteran Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D). When the appointment took effect June 10, it left the office of attorney general open. Christie nominated John Hoffman as acting attorney general.
Chiesa was appointed interim U.S. Senator of New Jersey by Governor Chris Christie on June 6, 2013. He filled the seat left vacant by the death of Senator Frank Lautenberg. A special primary will be held on August 13, 2013 and the special general election will be on October 16, 2013. Chiesa does not plan to run in the special election.
Chiesa was nominated to serve as the state's chief law enforcement officer by Governor Chris Christie in December 2011. On January 10, 2012 Chiesa was sworn in as New Jersey's 59th attorney general.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jeff + Chiesa + New + Jersey + Attorney"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Attorney General of New Jersey Named as Interim Senator - New York Times
- Jeff Chiesa sworn in as New Jersey's newest senator - Vineland Daily Journal
- Gov. Christie appoints NJ Attorney General Jeff Chiesa to Lautenberg's Senate ... - Washington Post
- Jeffrey Chiesa Senate: New Jersey Attorney General Named To Fill Frank ... - Huffington Post
- Christie selects a temporary replacement for Sen. Lautenberg - U.S. News & World Report
- Chiesa sworn in as NJ Senator - Philly.com (blog)
- NJ governor names state Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa to temporarily fill US ... - Newser
- Welcome to Washington: Chiesa sworn in as NJ's new US senator - Hunterdon County Democrat - NJ.com
- NJ attorney general named to fill US Senate seat - Dailyrecord.com
- Vice President Joe Biden swears in new US Sen. Jeffrey Chiesa in Washington ... - News 12 Brooklyn
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Office of The Attorney General
P.O. Box 080
Trenton, NJ 08625-0080
- Attorney General of New Jersey
- Paula Dow
- Governor of New Jersey
- Chris Christie, Current New Jersey Governor
- U.S. Senate
- Frank Lautenberg
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Politico "Chris Christie appoints Jeff Chiesa as interim senator" Accessed June 6, 2013
- ↑ New Jersey.com, "N.J. Attorney General Paula Dow leaves office after nearly 2 stressful, sometimes frustrating, years," January 3, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 New Jersey Real-Time News,"New N.J. attorney general takes the reins at a turbulent time for crime fighters," January 25, 2012
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Office of the AG, "Biography of Jeff Chiesa", accessed January 31, 2012
- ↑ Trentonian, "John Hoffman appointed acting NJ attorney general," June 10, 2013
- ↑ Bloomberg News, "Christie Names Interim Senator as Candidates Line Up," June 6, 2013
- ↑ State of New Jersey Office of the Attorney General "Biography of Jeff Chiesa," accessed April 26, 2012
Frank Lautenberg (D)
|U.S. Senate, New Jersey
June 10, 2013–present
| Succeeded by|
Paula Dow (D)
|New Jersey Attorney General
January 10, 2012-June 10, 2013
| Succeeded by|