|Vermont State Senate Washington-1 District|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Wisconsin - Madison|
|Master's||University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee|
|Ph.D.||University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee|
|Birthday||August 18, 1977|
|Place of birth||Manitowoc, WI|
Elections for the office of Vermont House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on August 26, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 12, 2014. Washington-1 has two representatives. Marvin Malek and Jeremy Hansen are unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbents Anne Donahue and Patti Lewis are unopposed in the Republican primary.
- See also: Vermont State Senate elections, 2012
Hansen ran on a platform of using online technology to ask every citizen in his district their view on a particular vote, a system similarly proposed by Florida independent candidate Philip Dodds. Hansen also became the first political candidate to accept Bitcoin, a computer currency that is traded within peer-to-peer networks. He received approval from the Secretary of State's office and the state Attorney General to convert Bitcoin into dollars. "Is it an alternative? Yes. Is it a perfect alternative? No. It is something that deserves a little bit of thought in looking at? Yes, for sure," Hansen said.
Hansen and his wife Cara have two children and live in Berlin, VT.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Jeremy + Hansen + Vermont + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Vermont State Legislature
- Jeremy Hansen's campaign site
- Campaign Facebook page
- Vermont Senate Hopeful Jeremy Hansen Responds on (Mostly) Direct Democracy
- Norwich Professor To Run For State Senate as Independent
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Vermont Secretary of State, "2014 Candidate Listing," June 13, 2014
- Vermont Secretary of State, "Election Results Search," accessed July 23, 2014
- WatchDog.org, "Bitcoin politician wants to upgrade democracy in Vermont," accessed December 24, 2013