|U.S. Senate, Montana|
While McConnell initially appeared on the official candidate list, he later withdrew.
The University of Virginia's Center for Politics published an article called Sabato's Crystal Ball on March 22, 2012 detailing the 8 races in the Senate in 2012 that will decide the political fate of which party will end up with control in 2013. The seat rated a a toss-up that the Sabato's Crystal Ball believes is most likely to change hands is the Senate seat in Montana. The article notes that incumbent Jon Tester is a slight underdog against challenger Denny Rehberg.
The unusual presence of two Libertarian primary contenders in the race has lead the state’s election chief to put both Libertarian candidates on the general election ballot instead of conducting a costly and separate Libertarian primary.
Secretary of State Linda McCulloch said that a separate Libertarian primary would have cost counties a combined total of $350,000 to $390,000.
Libertarian primaries typically draw anywhere from 3 percent to 5 percent of the general election vote, but counties would nevertheless have been required to print the same number of Libertarian ballots as they do Republican and Democratic ones.
State election officials cited Montana law (MCA 13-10-209), which states that the election administrator does not need to prepare a primary ballot for a party that does not have candidates for more than half the offices on the ballot.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Jerry + McConnell + Montana + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tom Coburn Withdraws Gun Amendment On Water Bill (UPDATE) - Huffington Post
- Declining Gun Homicide Rate Isn't A Strong Argument Against Expanding ... - Huffington Post
- James Porter, NRA President, Arrives At Crucial Time For Gun Rights Battle In ... - Huffington Post
- Tom Coburn Pushes Gun Amendments On Water Resources Bill - Huffington Post - Huffington Post
- Gun Control Advocates Look To Keep Issue Alive In Congress - Huffington Post - Huffington Post
- Phoenix, Arizona Gun Buyback Held Before Sales Law Goes Into Effect - Huffington Post
- Mary Landrieu, Kay Hagan Face Better 2014 Prospects Following Gun Vote - Huffington Post
- HUFFPOST HILL - GOP: The President Took Away Your Airplane Pretzels - Huffington Post
- Editorial: The list of 46 Senators who rejected gun background checks and the ... - NJ.com
- Ten ways to rock the Third Rock on Earth Day 2013 - Syracuse.com
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Helenair Article about McConnell's entrance
- Newstalk KGVO Profile
- Billings Gazette Article about race