Jim Nicita recall, Oregon City, Oregon (2011)
A question about whether to recall Jim Nicita from his elected position as mayor of Oregon City, Oregon, in Clackamas County took place in a recall election on December 6th, 2011. Nicita was recalled from his seat. The city commission selected a replacement mayor to serve the rest of Nicita's term, which expired at the end of 2012.
Reasons for recall
Recall organizers took issue with Nicita's opposition to the building of a $200 million mall which would have brought jobs and additional property taxes to Oregon City. Oregon City would have provided $17.6 million in urban renewal money to subsidize the mall, which would have been built on an old landfill. Nicita, who is a member of the Pacific Green Party, has been accused of having an anti-growth agenda.
Local 350-2 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), the union that represents city workers, opposed the recall effort against Nicita. Former Oregon City mayor John Williams Jr. campaigned against the recall, saying, "I'm depressed that a group of people could demonize a public servant."
Path to the ballot
The recall campaign was organized by a group called Recall Jim Nicita. Recall organizers needed to gather the signatures of 1,742 registered voters in order to force a recall election. On October 13, organizers submitted over 2,200 signatures. About 25% of those signatures were ruled invalid, meaning that supporters were 125 signatures short. Recall organizers subsequently gathered 312 additional signatures, and on October 27th, the Clackamas County Elections Division announced that a recall election would be scheduled for December 6th.
- The Oregonian, "Jim Nicita recall campaign qualifies for the ballot, election scheduled for Dec. 6," October 27, 2011
- The Oregonian, "Commissioner Jim Nicita recalled by Oregon City voters," December 6, 2011
- The Oregonian, "Group working to recall Oregon City Commissioner James Nicita says it has enough petition signatures," October 7, 2011
- The Oregonian, "Oregon City Commissioner Jim Nicita faces recall election in which proposed The Rivers mall figures prominently," November 11, 2011
- Oregon City News, "City employees vote to retain Nicita," November 15, 2011
- The Oregonian, "Jim Nicita recall group says it gathered extra signatures, sees no problem qualifying for the ballot," October 25, 2011
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |