Jim Righeimer recall, Costa Mesa, California (2013)
To the Honorable James Righeimer: Pursuant to Section 11020 of the California Elections Code, the undersigned registered qualified voters of the City of Costa Mesa, in the State of California, hereby give notice that we are the proponents of a recall petition and that we intend to seek your recall and removal from the office of Council Member in the City of Costa Mesa, California, and to demand election of a successor in that office.
The grounds for the recall are as follows:
On July 17th, 2012 James Righeimer voted in support of Consent Calendar Item #5, which is a traffic mitigation agreement with Banning Ranch LLC. Righeimer was not the only Councilmember to vote in support of this however he is the only one that can be recalled. This can also be considered a symbolic recall of the three other supporting Councilmembers: Bever, Monahan and Mensigner.
The reason for this recall is Righeimer’s acceptance of this binding mitigation agreement, which specifically takes away the rights of the City to make future objections with regard to traffic impacts from the potential Banning Ranch Development.
The negative impacts to the residents include, but are not limited to:
In closing this recall is being brought forward to remove Councilmember Righeimer who values development projects over the quality of life of Costa Mesa’s residents.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in California
The recall effort was announced on October 16, and the recall petitions were certified for circulation in December 2012. Recall supporters had 160 days to gather over 9,000 signatures, representing 15% of Costa Mesa's registered voters. The deadline to submit signatures was May 15, 2013. Recall supporters failed to submit sufficient signatures by the deadline, and the recall effort came to an end.
- Daily Pilot, "Righeimer calls recall effort 'a stunt'," October 17, 2012
- South Bend Tribune, "New mayor reflects on tumult, looks forward," December 29, 2012
- Orange County Register, "Costa Mesa's Jim Righeimer tones down rhetoric as recall fails," May 15, 2013
- Daily Pilot, "Effort to recall mayor fizzles," May 3, 2013
- Daily Pilot, "Recall effort of Righeimer moves forward," December 12, 2012
- Friends of Costa Mesa's Future, "NOTICE OF INTENTION TO CIRCULATE RECALL PETITION," October 24, 2012
- Daily Pilot, "McEvoy to gather recall signatures," December 11, 2012
- Orange County Register, "Venezia: Righeimer recall a political message or a stunt?," October 23, 2012