|Arizona State Senate District 11|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Profession||Retired research biochemist|
Holt is a retired research biochemist who worked at the University of Arizona in the 1980s. She and her family moved to St. Louis shortly after her son was born. There she continued her career at Washington University. As a research biochemist, she spent decades running research laboratories.
Holt's campaign website highlights the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Restore funding to our public schools"
- Excerpt: "The Common Core Standards are not evil"
- Excerpt: "Change the perception: AZ values education"
- Excerpt: "A healthy workforce makes for a healthy business"
- Excerpt: "Trust women to make their own healthcare decisions"
- Excerpt: "Work with Mexico as a partner, not as an enemy"
- Excerpt: "Border security depends on economics, not fences"
Fairness for Everyone, not just the Well-To-Do
- Excerpt: "Equal pay for equal work"
- Excerpt: "Marriage equality is a civil rights issue"
- Excerpt: "LGBT rights in the workplace is good for business"
More Work, Less Partisanship
- Excerpt: "Working together to solve problems"
- Excerpt: "Your state senator advocating for AZ"
Holt's campaign website listed the following issues:
- The Economy and Jobs
- Excerpt: "Balancing the State budget in a time of recession requires both cuts to spending and increases in State revenue. Revenue can be found in AZ tax subsidies paid to businesses with no requirement to show increased hiring. Revenue can be found in billions lost to AZ tax loopholes. "
- Education and Jobs
- Excerpt: "Funding must be restored to education. Our precious tax dollars should not go to subsidies and credits for private schools. Corporations will not move into our State until they know they will have an educated, ready work force to employ, and good schools for their employees' children. "
- Healthcare and Jobs
- Excerpt: "Access to healthcare is a human right. Funding must be restored for Medicaid and KidsCare. Access to healthcare pays for itself by allowing people to get preventative check-ups and early care. One of the most pressing concerns the AZ legislature should be working on is the creation of the AZ insurance exchange, and important part of the Affordable Care Act."
- Individual Liberties
- Excerpt: "The assault on individual liberties must stop! Our State legislators increasingly limit personal freedoms such as restricting women's reproductive liberty, inhibiting the civil rights of our Latino citizens, and erecting barriers to individuals' right to vote."
- See also: Arizona State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Arizona State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 26, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 28, 2014. Jo Holt was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Steve Smith defeated Scott Bartle in the Republican primary. Holt will face Smith in the general election.
|Arizona State Senate, District 11 Republican Primary, 2014|
- See also: Arizona State Senate elections, 2012
Holt ran in the 2012 election for Arizona State Senate District 11. She ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 28, 2012. She was defeated in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Arizona State Senate, District 11, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Al Melvin Incumbent||56.4%||48,367|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Jo + Holt + Arizona + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arizona State Legislature
- Arizona state legislative districts
- Arizona State Senate
- Arizona State Senate elections, 2014
- Official campaign website
- Jo Holt on Facebook
- Jo Holt on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Arizona State Legislature
- Campaign website, About Jo
- Holt for Senate, "Issues," accessed October 14, 2014
- Campaign website, Issues
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed August 27, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election," May 28, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed September 11, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2010 Primary candidate list," accessed December 20, 2013
- C-SPAN/Associated Press, "August 28, 2012 Primary Results - Arizona," accessed August 28, 2012