Joanne F. Goldstein
|Joanne F. Goldstein|
|Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Deval Patrick|
|High school||Doherty Memorial High School, Worcester, MA|
|Bachelor's||University of Michigan|
Goldstein was born in Massachusetts. She began her professional legal career with Angoff, Godlman, Manning, Pyle and Wagner. She was the first woman to practice union side labor law in Massachusetts. She opened her own law practice in 1982 and was the general counsel for Utility Workers Union of America in 1996. In 2007 Goldstein was appointed by Martha Coakley as the Chief of the Attorney General's Fair Labor Division. Goldstein served as the lead member of the Governor's Joint Task Force on the Underground Economy and Employee Misclassification.
- Doherty Memorial High School, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Bachelor's degree, University of Michigan
- Juris doctorate degree, Hofstra University
Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development (2010 - present)
Since her appointment Goldstein has worked with business interests and unions on pension and transportation reform as well as health care cost containment. During the 2011-2012 legislative session, the Massachusetts General Court passed legislation that weakened union influence and eased the ability for local governments in negotiation new contracts. Goldstein has stated her support for unions, maintaining that they still have a place in society.
Goldstein was appointed Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development by Gov. Deval Patrick (D) in 2010.
Goldstein and her husband Edward live in Newton, Massachusetts. They have three adult children and two granddaughters.
Office of Labor and Workforce Development
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108
Toll Free: 617-727-4404
- Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Commonwealth Corporation Biography
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Joanne + Goldstein + Massachusetts
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Massachusetts labor secretary urges lawmakers to approve $10 million for ... - MassLive.com
- MA DOL Standards Recognized for Worker Safety Initiative - WorkersCompensation.com (press release)
- Firm owes more than $117000 to Massachusetts UI fund - HR.BLR.com
- BRIEFLY: May 18 - Wicked Local
- ABOUT TOWN: Cherished Stoughton Memories Preserved - Patch.com
- Patrick Cabinet focus on workforce - Worcester Telegram
- PAYT program starts July 1 - Wicked Local Plymouth
- BRIEFLY: May 11 - Wicked Local
- Bombing cost difficult to measure, could cost billions - Number of injured ... - Cape Cod Today
- 'Recon' on PACTV - Wicked Local Plymouth
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
|Massachusetts Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development
| Succeeded by|