|Vermont Senate Caledonia District|
|2011 - present|
|January 7, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Senate Minority Leader|
|Per diem||$162/day (non-commuter) |
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Lyndon State College|
|J.D.||Vermont Law School|
Before his election, Benning was a private practice attorney and a partner at Bertolini, Benning, and Glinka. He is also a justice of the peace, a member of the Lyndon Town School Board, a town agent for Lydndon, and a village agent for Lyndonville.
He holds a BA in social studies from Lyndon State College and a JD from the Vermont Law School.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Benning served on the following committees:
|Vermont Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Judiciary, Vice-chair|
|• Judicial Retention|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Benning served on these committees:
|Vermont Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Judicial Retention|
|• Natural Resources and Energy|
- See also: Vermont State Senate elections, 2012
Benning won re-election in the 2012 election for Vermont State Senate Caledonia District. Benning was unopposed in the August 28 Republican primary and won re-election in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
- See also: Vermont State Senate elections, 2010
Benning ran for election to the 6th District Seat (Caledonia District) in 2010. He ran against Charlie Bucknam in the primary. He defeated Charlie Bucknam (R), Matthew Choate (D), and Harvey Otterman (I) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
|Vermont State Senate, Caledonia District, General Election (2010)|
|Jane Kitchel (D)||6,158|
|Joe Benning (R)||5,674|
|Matthew Choate (D)||5,537|
|Charlie Bucknam (R)||5,322|
|Harvey Otterman (I)||1,798|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, the year Benning first won election to the Senate, he collected $11,466 in donations.
His four largest contributors in 2010 were:
|Caledonia County Republican Committee||$2,000|
|Contribution by candidate or candidate's immediate family||$520|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joe + Benning + Vermont + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Vt. Senate to debate budget Thursday; Reach Up language remains a sticking ... - vtdigger.org
- Shumlin's commitment to single payer health care questioned - vtdigger.org
- Marijuana decriminalization heads for final vote - vtdigger.org
- Vermont Lawmakers Decriminalize Small Amounts of Pot, Hashish - Valley News
- Marijuana decriminalization nears final approval - BurlingtonFreePress.com
- Shumlin, legislative leaders: No new tax package necessary, budget to get $10 ... - vtdigger.org
- A Rising Marijuana Reform Tide at the Statehouses [FEATURE - Drug War Chronicle]
- Extending statute of limitations the right thing to do - Bennington Banner
- Bill Allowing Salon Owners to Keep Pets in Their Business Defeated in the VT ... - Fox44abc22yourvoice
- Entergy claims 'surprise' over Red Cross updated evacuation plan funding request - Bennington Banner
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Benning and his wife, Debbie, have two children.