Joe M. Silk
|Oklahoma State Senate, District 5|
|November 18, 2014-present|
|November 20, 2018|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
- See also: Oklahoma State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Oklahoma State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 11, 2014. Joe M. Silk defeated Brent Shain in the Republican primary, while Curtis McDaniel was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Silk defeated McDaniel in the general election.
|Oklahoma State Senate, District 5 General Election, 2014|
|Oklahoma State Senate, District 5 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Joe M. Silk||63%||960|
Silk was defeated by Curtis McDaniel (D) in the special election on February 14, 2012. Bethany Farley (I) and James Skipper (I) also ran. McDaniel garnered 61.8% of the vote. Both major party candidates won contested primaries on November 8, 2011.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- 23rd and Lincoln, "Special election brief: School principal, B&B owner win House District 1 primaries," November 9, 2011
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joe + Silk + Oklahoma + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Oklahoma State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Oklahoma State Legislature
- Oklahoma state legislative districts
- Profile from the Oklahoma State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Joe Silk on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "Candidates for State Elective Officials 2014," accessed April 15, 2014
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "Official Results Statewide Primary Election — June 24, 2014," accessed July 10, 2014
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "Official General Election Results, Federal, State, Legislative and Judicial Races — November 4, 2014," accessed November 5, 2014
- Journal Record, "Special election to choose successor to Farley set for Feb. 14 of next year," July 26th, 2011
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "Special Primary Election for State Representative, District 1," November 8, 2011
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "State of Oklahoma, February 14, Unofficial Results," accessed February 15, 2012
Jerry Ellis (D)
|Oklahoma State Senate District 5
| Succeeded by|
State of Oklahoma
Oklahoma City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor and Inspector | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Wildlife Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Commissioner of Corporations |