Joe Mathews wants four changes to California's initiative system
LOS ANGELES, California: Joe Mathews, an Irvine senior fellow at the New America Foundation and author of Blockbuster Democracy has argued in a column published in the Los Angeles Times that "California's system is deeply flawed."
He recommends four changes:
- "Make initiatives subject to the same rules as legislation."
- "Extend the same flexibility to constitutional revisions as constitutional amendments."
- Permit the Legislature more involvement with the initiative process.
- Make it easier for voters to overturn the Legislature through a more referendum-based direct democracy.
- Laws governing the initiative process in California
- California Chief Justice Ronald George condemns ballot initiatives