|New York State Assembly District 102|
|1995 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||City College of New York|
|Other||Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Date of birth||04/05/1943|
|Place of birth||New York City, NY|
|Profession||Major, New York State Guard|
Miller earned his B.S. from City College of New York and his D.D.S. from Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery. Miller is a major in the New York State Guard. His other professional experience includes being a dentist with Doctor Kaplan & Doctor Miller. He served as a Captain in the United States Air Force.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Miller served on the following committees:
- Education Committee, New York State Assembly
- Health Committee, New York State Assembly
- Higher Education Committee, New York State Assembly
- Rules Committee, New York State Assembly
- Subcommittee on Election Day Operations and Voter Disenfranchisement
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Miller served on the following committees:
- Education Committee, New York Assembly
- Election Law Committee, New York Assembly
- Health Committee, New York Assembly
- Higher Education Committee, New York Assembly
- Rules Committee, New York Assembly
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2010
Miller ran unopposed in the September 14 Republican primary. He defeated Alyssa Kogon (D) in the general election on November 2. In addition to his slot on the Republican Party ticket, he was also listed as a candidate of the Independence Party of New York State and the Conservative Party.
|New York State Assembly, District 102 2010|
|Joel Miller (R)||21,010|
|Alyssa Kogon (D)||15,702|
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2008
On November 4, 2008, Miller won re-election to the New York State Assembly, District 102, defeating opponent Jonathan Smith (D).
Miller raised $145,223 for his campaign while Smith raised $451,384.
|New York State Assembly, District 102 2008|
|Joel Miller (R)||28,849|
|Jonathan Smith (D)||25,331|
In 2010, Miller received $57,500 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New York State Assembly 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Joel Miller's campaign in 2010|
|Good, Holly P||$3,500|
|Menken, Dr A||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$57,500|
In the 2008 election, Miller raised a total of $145,223.
His seven largest contributors in 2008 were:
|Town Of Fishkill Republican CMTE||$4,000|
|Saland for Senate||$3,800|
|Log Cabin Republicans New York||$3,800|
|New York State United Teachers||$3,800|
|Leibell for Senate||$3,800|
Miller and his wife, Sheryl, have two children; Daniel and Jonathan.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joel + Miller + New + York + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York State Assembly
- House Committees
- New York State Legislature
- New York state legislative districts
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Joel Miller," accessed December 23, 2014
- New York Times, "NY state legislative election results," accessed February 11, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Report on 2008 Campaign donations in New York," accessed August 1, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|New York Assembly District 102
| Succeeded by|
Peter Lopez (R)
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |